Ugly Sells
Apparently. Because this Santa Monica store (on Broadway between 4th and 5th) has been in business for quite some time, and over the past year and a half or so, I have yet to see one outfit in their window that I'd use for more than wiping up something unpleasant.

uglysells.jpg

Posted by aalkon at February 26, 2005 8:36 AM

Comments

Yeah, and unfortunately the women who wear outfits like that are usually 3-4 times the size of those mannequins.

Posted by: Lena Vreeland at February 26, 2005 2:46 PM

now seeing oversized women in those outfits would be a real quirky treat. AG, we at "Immaculate" linked to you again as our "Blog of the Day," - YOU are a good writer. The popularity of some of the blogs out there is a complete mystery to me.

Posted by: CEOaf at February 26, 2005 3:02 PM

Thanks -- I really appreciate it. Yeah, I can't understand why some people blog. They're boring in real life, and they somehow get it into their heads that they should take it "wide."

Posted by: Amy Alkon at February 26, 2005 6:58 PM

Lena has been known to take it wide, thank you.

Posted by: Lena at February 26, 2005 7:46 PM

Just tossed the latest Nordstrom catalogue. Talk about U-G-L-Y. And they are supposed to be a cut above most. What's a girl to do?

Posted by: rhc at February 26, 2005 9:13 PM

A girl is to spend her money wisely.

Posted by: Lena at February 26, 2005 11:42 PM

Hi Amy –

Not that Latinity should necessarily confer profundity, but in this case…

De gustibus et coloris non disputandum.

L'Amerloque

Posted by: L'Amerloque at February 26, 2005 11:56 PM

Must be expensive to be a woman. Men don't typically buy makeup or feminine products (unless they're drag queens). Their wardrobes aren't typically as large (again, unless they're drag queens).

Posted by: Patrick at February 28, 2005 12:34 AM

It doesn't have to be expensive; not if you're clever. I bought a Max Mara shirt today at a designer resale store: original resale price, $62. My sale price: $16. One of my favorite jackets I got for $5 at a smelly resale store -- then spent $35 tailoring! The key is, or was, for me, learning to shop like a French girl. I will buy expensive things from time to time -- especially those by one of my favorite designers, Ralph Kemp -- but I don't buy many clothes. Only those I absolutely love. That said, if I never bought another piece of clothing, I could go on for the rest of my life and never go naked.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at February 28, 2005 12:44 AM