Ce N'est Pas Un Signe
Photographed in the lobby of the cigar bar we went to after Jackie's friend's movie, Blowing Smoke.

cigarbarLA.jpg

Posted by aalkon at April 24, 2005 10:09 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ce N'est Pas Une Pipe:

» Fun and statism at the Havana Club from The Hole
Thursday night was a screening of a movie my friend Kamal produced, Blowing Smoke. After the screening, a few of us went to dinner at this cigar club in Beverly Hills that Kamal is a member of, the Havana Club.... [Read More]

Tracked on April 25, 2005 1:00 PM

Comments

Is that sign commonly posted in cigar bars? Or is it meant to be cute?

Posted by: Lena-doodle-doo at April 24, 2005 9:22 AM

I think it's the law. It wasn't a funny place!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at April 24, 2005 11:08 AM

The movie looks pretty good- was it?

Posted by: eric at April 24, 2005 11:29 AM

The comments by the guys, by and large, were truthful, and funny because of that. It wasn't a great movie, but it was interesting for what was said.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at April 24, 2005 12:22 PM

They have signs like that over here on cigarette packs "cigarettes kill" kind of thing in big bold letters. I wonder if these signs really cause anyone to change their behavior?

Posted by: Auntie M at April 25, 2005 12:00 AM

"I wonder if these signs really cause anyone to change their behavior?"

I think higher prices are the best incentive for quitting.

It just so happens that today is my 18th year anniversary for quitting smoking. I quit because I wanted to be healthier. Sometime I'd love to figure out how much money I've saved.

Posted by: Lena-doodle-doo at April 25, 2005 10:08 AM

Actually the phrase "Ce n'est pas une pipe" is taken from a very famous painting by the French impressionist Rene Magritte. The painting is of a common smoking pipe and on the painting is written "Ce n'est pas une pipe" (This is not a pipe), meaning that what you are actually looking at is not a pipe but the artists interpretation of a pipe. If you see it in cigar bars a lot they're just being cute.

Posted by: Warren at May 4, 2005 1:00 PM