Chic Ou Idiotique?

agirlandherdog.jpg

Okay, so this is almost the outfit. I'm not wearing the jacket in this picture, unfortunately (a fab, short, double-breasted, moto-ish number, in black, white stitching) SEE BELOW TO IMAGINE IT ON ME ABOVE

jacket.jpg

But...

At dusk, as I crossed the Pont des Arts (a bridge over the Seine), which was packed with picnickers and people just hanging around, a news photographer spotted me, got up, and ran to get in front of me, way down the bridge, to take my photo.

I think he might have thought I was "quelqu'un" -- "somebody" (in France, I mean) -- or...quel horreur!...what if he's the guy who takes the photos for the French version of the Glamour Magazine "Dos and Don'ts" -- and I'm the star victime de la mode for next month?! Eeek! Then again, maybe he just had the photographic hots for Lucy, being carried by me under one arm.

Well, in case somebody thinks my outfit worked, I'll toss out the list, like they do for stars' couture in fashion magazines -- but not to brag about how much I paid, but how little. (I couldn't imagine walking into a department store in America and paying the real price for anything. Typically, my "couture" is Loehmann's, Daffy's, designer resale...or just resale!)

Silk Skirt: Probably some famous Italian designer. I don't know which one, because I got it on sale at Daffy's in New York, and they cut the label out. But I will tell you that it cost me $16.99 (discounted from $200-something) and I bought it three years ago -- long before long peasant skirts came in, thank you! (I was going to temporarily retire it this year, so I wouldn't look like I follow fashion, but it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing, so it snuck into my suitcase.)

Shirt: Michael Stars, purchased on eBay, $15 plus shipping...maybe $18? (Regular price, about $45. I might consider paying that if I were high on crack.)

Jacket: Armani Exchange, $120. They have fab jackets there from time to time. One of the few things I pay full price for. Worth every penny.

Scarf: It's really an evening shawl, but I like to wear dressy stuff as ordinary-wear. $13.99 on sale (I believe it was originally priced over $100), Loehmann's.

Boots: CaféNoir, $70. Spanish brand, purchased at a clearance shoe sale at Nordstrom's after a writergirl breakfast at The Farmer's Market. Hillary Johnson, shoe coach. Resoled by Alex of Santa Monica. Call Alex before you go; they're probably not ready.

Hat: San Diego Hat Company, $35, Fedora Primo, Santa Monica. That's Frank in the photo. He will help you very patiently, no matter how lame your questions.

Bra: Empreinte, bought at Le Bon Marché three years ago, and still holding strong. Priceless. PS Victoria's Secret? Their bras are at their most functional at a photo shoot on a model with fake breasts who is standijng perfectly still.

Dog's Pink Jester Collar: H&M, Paris, about $1.50

TOTAL: $275.48 (for which I don't think you can get even a slightly used Kleenex at Hermes)

--Amy Alkon, Bargain Hoor

Posted by aalkon at July 22, 2005 9:23 AM

Comments

Having read that you run seven miles twice a week, I suspect that all that is far too much concealment.

But then, car nuts keep their best pieces under cover when they're not, um, using them...

Posted by: Radwaste at July 22, 2005 3:24 AM

You're very sweet. Still, much sexier, I think, to show less, rather than more. And I do have a think for the inappropriately tight dress...just long, rather than short. "The clean line," you know?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2005 4:26 AM

PS Seven miles isn't so much of a workout -- just maximum workout, minimum time. Hour and ten minutes, twice a week. Just sounds like a lot to the non-runner. With an Apple Shuffle, seven goes by like four!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2005 4:29 AM

>Bra: Empreinte, bought at Le Bon Marché three years >ago, and still holding strong. Priceless. PS

Could we get a close-up? Can't really make it out.

Posted by: Mad Hungarian at July 22, 2005 7:35 AM

Heh heh...boyfriend is always trying to get nude or near-nude shots of me, but I've managed to evade him so far.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2005 9:00 AM

Ooo what a delicious read and beautiful photo!

Posted by: Claire at July 22, 2005 9:32 AM

Thanks...was worried I'd bore you with all my discount-hound info!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2005 9:38 AM

Pas idiotique, mais eccentrique. You have a lot of flair, Amy, and you can certainly pull it off. My only concern is that your outfit gives you a certain timeless quality, which would be great if you were in your fifties, but it doesn't really show off how young and lovely you are.

Posted by: Pat Saperstein at July 22, 2005 3:05 PM

Pat, I fear you've not spent enough time chasing middle-aged tail!... Or cringing at your own yearbook photos. 'Timeless' (especially with an Alkonian eye for hue & line) is as good as fashion gets, both for grown people and young 'uns.

The seventies were hideous, but at least by the time grunge started to cook, I knew how to bob & weave.

Posted by: Crid at July 22, 2005 4:21 PM

I will give my honest opinion. Amy, I have seen you only in photos, but you seem to have lovely breasts and a slender figure. You have an artsy, graceful style, which I think would be accented better by a looseness about the neck. I have noticed a propensity towards wrapping something around your neck that bothers me. Are you symbolically choking something off? Drape the various shawlish/scarfish things lower on your neck to reveal a little more of your sternum. Or just let the ends flow free in the front. A long, large beaded single strand fuschia necklace would have complemented the airy scarf. And you need something more chic to carry your pretty in. Overall I give you an A-.
Diana

Posted by: diana at July 22, 2005 5:28 PM

Upon further examination, here's what I would have done: Find that big beaded long pink necklace, tie the scarf around the handle of the tote in a big, drapey bow.

I'm really enjoying your posts!

Posted by: Diana at July 22, 2005 5:34 PM

middle-aged tail rules.

Posted by: LYT at July 22, 2005 11:20 PM

How fabu! I love the skirt and also, love Micheal Stars. Like you, I never pay full price either...

Posted by: Coquette at July 23, 2005 3:32 AM

That's especially nice coming from you, since you're quite the stylish one. Which reminds me, I must go to Réciproque as soon as the sales are over here, which is in mere hours!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 23, 2005 5:11 AM

eeek. the hat is awful. a case of over accessorizing.

Posted by: susie at July 24, 2005 3:26 PM

The hat is a case of sun protection, darling. When I'm 90, I won't have skin like an Hermes handbag. Will you?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 24, 2005 9:25 PM