That Wacky Cafe de Flore
That pretty much described it yesterday afternoon while I was sitting out front working on my column. A performance artist came by -- Tagh L'Explorateur was his name, and these are his wheels:

taghwheels.jpg

To my surprise, he was actually funny -- a rarity, in my book...as a jaded former New Yorker and current Lost Angeleno.

taghbus.jpg

He ran after pedestrians, mimicking them, pretended to chase or hit them with his large grass broom, and played with patrons and waiters.

taghetgarcon.jpg

The rather serious and fancy Parisian lady next to me, une femme d'une certaine age (ladies I love seeing in Paris because they're so put together, not resigned to their age like so many of their American peers), laughed and laughed out loud, and kept commenting to me about how hilarious he was. Certainly beats the faux Egyptian guys who wear metallic sheets and face paint and stand perfectly still in urban areas around the globe!

Oh yeah...when I gave him some coin after his performance, he gave me his card, which he pretended to stamp, passport-style. This animateur unique -- real name Noël Hamann, noelhamann@hotmail.com -- is available for tous vos événements, for all your events: birthday parties, anniversaries, all of it, I'd assume.

Posted by aalkon at July 23, 2005 9:24 AM

Comments

My husband went to LSE with a guy who, after graduation, went to work as a street magician. Todya, he's on the Greater London Arts Council. Goes to show ya.

Posted by: KateCoe at July 23, 2005 8:14 AM

Hmmm...come to think of it, I started out my own career on the street...giving free advice on the street corner in Soho.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 23, 2005 8:50 AM

Yeah, I started out developing multi-tier web applications in a filthy back alley in North Hollywood.

Posted by: Charlie at July 23, 2005 9:57 AM

Amy, isn't this better than the mook from Santa Monica you wrote about a couple months ago? This Paris guy really EARNED the money, and didn't just smirk his way into your pocketbook.

Plus, bitchen ride. Boyfriend gets 'round, gnome sane?

Posted by: Crid at July 23, 2005 11:10 AM

He was truly funny. And I'm a tough sell. I loved sitting next to this very elegant older French woman who was just howling with laughter. Just like me. French men, I've found, in my somewhat limited experience, have a wonderful sense of mirth. "Mirth" not being a word I think I've ever used to describe an American man. They're sarcastically naughty, I guess I'd say, and honest about life. With a gesture or a word or two, some of them can make you bust a gut.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 23, 2005 11:33 AM