Wimping Into The War Zone
Cornell University researcher Rob Willer recently did a study that found men whose masculinity is challenged are more likely to support war or buy an SUV:

Their attitudes against gays change, too.

Cornell University researcher Robb Willer used a survey to sample undergraduates. Participants were randomly assigned feedback that indicated their responses were either masculine of feminine.

The women had no discernable reaction to either type of feedback in a follow-up survey.

But the guys' reactions were "strongly affected," Willer said today.

"I found that if you made men more insecure about their masculinity, they displayed more homophobic attitudes, tended to support the Iraq war more and would be more willing to purchase an SUV over another type of vehicle," said Willer said. "There were no increases [in desire] for other types of cars."

Those who had their masculinity threatened also said they felt more ashamed, guilty, upset and hostile than those whose masculinity was confirmed, he said.

Well, the gigundo SUV thing, we already knew. And women who drive them...until there's further research, all we can call them is assholes.

Posted by aalkon at August 6, 2005 1:14 AM

Comments

I don't know. I've always felt like a young lesbian Catholic schoolgirl trapped in a grown man's body, and yet I don't have any theoretical objections to war, if I believe it's necessary.

Posted by: Paul Hrissikopoulos at August 6, 2005 10:24 AM

Umm, Paul, that didn't make a whole lot of sense. The phrase "if I believe" kinda makes me go "huh?", especially in light of the last few day's discussion. Do you mean "if I have rationally deduced through logical analysis" or "if I have decided based on emotion and fear and greed"?

Posted by: Diana gets picky at August 6, 2005 10:59 AM

Being the young lesbian Catholic schoolgirl trapped in a grown man's body that I am, I'm obviously not a flawless, dispassionate supercomputer with perfect knowledge. The ambiguity is intentional because I believe your dichotomy is false.

Posted by: Paul Hrissikopoulos at August 6, 2005 12:43 PM

And don't knock "emotion, fear and greed". A billion years of genetic knowledge is a gift, not something to be mocked and scorned. Civilization is evolution, not revolution.

Posted by: Paul Hrissikopoulos at August 6, 2005 12:58 PM

> A billion years of genetic knowledge is a
> gift, not something to be mocked and scorned.
> Civilization is evolution, not revolution.

Paul, in some threads here, that kind of talk will get you mocked as a 'three-eyed turban wearer.' Miss Alkon is not concerned with feelings not present in her own heart... If you're RELIGIOUS or something, you have nothing to offer. 'Cause, y'know, no believer ever behaved decently.

Posted by: Crid at August 6, 2005 1:59 PM

Right on the money!! I love you, Crid...

Posted by: isa at August 6, 2005 4:35 PM

Sure she's feisty. But that's how I like 'em.

Posted by: Paul Hrissikopoulos at August 6, 2005 7:14 PM

Gawd. A billion years of emotion, fear and greed might have got us here, but we better start using some dispassionate logic if we don't want to wipe ourselves right off the planet....

Posted by: Diana at August 6, 2005 8:14 PM

Agreed, as long as we can also agree that that which calls itself "dispassionate logic" has a few Kampucheas and Final Solutions under its belt as well. Who knows. Maybe it's just time to call in Gort.

Posted by: Paul Hrissikopoulos at August 6, 2005 10:57 PM

Paul: Exactly!

Dear Friends, read "The Future & Its Enemies" by Postrel. Shux, links aren't working today...

by

Diana, what's worrisome is that "dispassionate logic" often turns into bad things, like 'centralized planning' and 'political correctness'.

Posted by: Crid at August 7, 2005 9:02 AM