Stupid And Temporary
Did you just get an unwanted call from Smart and Final? I just did -- even though I'm on the "Do Not Call List," and even though I never gave Smart and Final my home phone number. It couldn't have come from using their dumb savings card, I don't think -- since I always make those grocery store memberships out to Mrs. S. Claus, North Pole...unless...they're somehow able to access the data behind my credit card.

I don't like getting phone calls at home. If I'm not too busy writing, I should be too busy writing to talk on the phone. If you're my friend, I'd prefer to see you in person. Otherwise, I'll take my communication via email.

Anyway, this call was from somebody named Tim Snee at Smart and Final. He's apparently an executive there, and his voice was on a recording calling and interrupting my deadline day to tell me that their restocking problems are over or almost over. Well, Mr. Snee, your Amy Alkon problems have just begun.

Did Tim Snee call you at home? Well, perhaps you'd like to return the favor. Here's his home address and phone number, which I got off Zabasearch.com:

TIMOTHY M SNEE
294 POMONA AVE
LONG BEACH, CA (562) 433-0047

Unfortunately, when I called, only his wife was home, as he's probably still at work, annoying the crap out of his customers. She didn't like hearing from me, not one bit. How unfortunate. Perhaps she should have married somebody other than Mr. Snee.

If calling his home number doesn't make you feel any better, you might want to email him as well -- tim.snee@smartandfinal.com -- and tell him exactly how you feel about getting annoyance calls at home.

If that still doesn't make you feel any better, via Mickey Kaus, here's the handy dandy California Attorney General complaint form.

Posted by aalkon at September 26, 2005 10:58 AM

Comments

I'd love it if I could get the phone number for every cold caller that interrupted my breakfast/lunch/dinner/any other time of the freakin day - and it's twice as bad at work. Half these people want to talk to the "owner" and then get an attitude if you suggest that perhaps office products for 20% off isn't the first priority on a Fortune 500 company owner's mind. Talk about redundant marketing.

Posted by: Abby at September 27, 2005 7:37 AM

Get their full name and look them up on Zabasearch.com!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 27, 2005 3:35 PM

That is just brilliant; it completely appeals to my sense of revenge. What did the wife say?

Posted by: Chris at September 27, 2005 4:35 PM

She actually started explaining why he called me. Maybe I should try back later when he's home.

But, if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth, Chris...well, the number's right there!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 27, 2005 4:37 PM

Judging from your tormenter's address I would say that he is one of Satan's helpers but not Satan himself. Belmont Shore is a very nice area, wealthy , but hardly in the category of a gated palazzo in Malibu. Actually he sounds like a executive in charge of exactly what he did, make annoying phone calls.

Posted by: Pat Patterson at September 29, 2005 5:07 AM

Sounds like a good revenge, but if you really want to get even, you need to know his boss' name and call him while he's at dinner to complain about his flunky's lack of consideration.

BTW, just saw your first column in Stars and Stripes last week. Needless to say, I was surprised, pleasantly, of course. Given that fraternization in theater is strictly forbidden, I suspect that a lot of lonely, horny GIs are going to be living vicariously through your column. Be gentle...

Posted by: odysseus at October 6, 2005 10:36 AM

It sounds as though "GODDESS" you need to take care of this personal situation like an adult. By looks of your picture and "blog", i think that it is about time to grow up!

By posting his information (which is quite stalkerish) you put his entire family at risk. Would you like to be held responsible if something happened to his children? I think that if you have a problem with a COMPANY then let them know how you feel. There is absolutly no reason to involve an innocent family just because you have way too much time on you hands!

Posted by: DISTURBED at October 25, 2005 6:52 AM

Hi I am tim snee's son you guys are fucking idiots. Whoever wrote this is a crazy bitch. If your running a company than go run your company get over your one fucking phone call. This should not be a high priority in your life if you are running a buisness, but it is for you so maybe you got nothig to fucking do all day . Go get a fucking life and well your at it go fuck yourself you crazy bitch.

Posted by: Brian Snee at October 25, 2005 7:12 AM

I think disturbed makes a good point. You should handle your complaint with the company not the family. They do not have any thing to do with those business decisions. I wonder what the California Attorney General would think about you posting someones address on your blog calling to attack this family. I think the salking laws in California are quite strong. Maybe you forgot about Rebecca Shaffer the actress who was salked and shot to death at her doorway. Be an adult and use your head before you put your own personal intrest ahead of the safety of a family!

Posted by: shame on you at October 25, 2005 5:00 PM

although i understand receiving calls at home is annoying, you must understand that people have a job to do... just as it is your to contaminate the internet with your pathetic blogs. very few people, although those who are as pathetic as yourself are tormented by one phone call. beyond being obviously, and somewhat dibilitatingly pathetic you have dislpayed your sheer laziness. obviously you are too cheap, or too lazy to have a program linked to your phone that screens all telemarketing calls. you should look into it... unless you think it would inhibit you from having worthless topics of conversation.... and again, i pity you and all your supporters.

Posted by: i pity you at October 25, 2005 5:40 PM

If Im reading this correctly, Amy has shown us a her true colors. If she piss`s off someone enough she will get more hits on this pathetic site. Now she has stepped so low as to bring children into her bizare world. What a loser.

Posted by: Kreeped-out at October 25, 2005 5:52 PM

Miss Alkon,
I hope that you understand the possible ramifications of your recklessness. To post a home address of a family who has done nothing to you and then ENCOURAGE others to call and conitnously harrass them is a form of harrassment under California state law. While the COMPANY may have done an injustice by calling you, the family did NOT. I may be mistaken, but his wife and kids do not work for smart and final, and have little to do with the businness decision that gave you a call to begin with. I would start praying that nothing happens to his wife and children as a result of your negligence. I was a reader of your column, and needless to say, NOW I AM NOT ( after all, I have nothing to gain from the advice of a poor decision maker like yourself). I am assuming you are not a mother, otherwise you would not have acted so immaturely as to endanger innocent children no matter what company their father may work for!!

Posted by: you just lost a reader! at October 25, 2005 6:23 PM

The family's address is available on Zabasearch.com, free to anyone with Google. This is public information, available in the phone book. We didn't know the family had children until one of them posted an obscenity laden message here. I didn't know of Mr. Snee's existence until he called me at home, despite my presence on the Do Not Call list, and despite my NEVER providing my number to Smart & Final.

Regarding your notion that they're likely to meet with anything more than disgust by people who have been plagued, as I have, by telemarketers...Oh, please. I'm sorry you don't have more acumen in the debate department, but that's pretty lame.

What I am is a person who seeks accountability in a society in which is increasingly unaccountable. If that is a viewpoint that is opposing to yours, I would expect that you wouldn't get much out of my work anyway. Nobody has any right to invade my home with their advertising messages without my permission. The fact that they assume they are free to do so is the problem. I would venture that Mr. Snee will now think twice before he sets his mechanical auto dialer to harrass his customers, wouldn't you?

You write: "PS in the future, when recieving a telemarketing call, do what the rest of us do and HANG UP."

The problem isn't people like me who demand accountability, but people out there like you who just take it when their lives are invaded by telemarketers or people shouting into their cell phones in a café. Taking my time in my own home without my permission, interrupting my work day to transmit your advertising message via the phone I pay for, posting comments spam on my blog (none of which the above coments count as) -- all of it is vandalism and theft, and shows a blatant lack of consideration for others. I highly value my privacy and my peace, and I will work to protect them and take punitive action, within the limitations of the law, when they are violated.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 25, 2005 10:16 PM

Whoopsie, it seems most of the comments above are from one person.

you just lost a reader! Unregistered Commenter
Miss Alkon, I hope that you understand the p... View all comments on this entry Stupid And Temporary 2005-10-25 18:23:10
View all comments from this IP address 12.107.11.15

i pity you Unregistered Commenter
although i understand receiving calls at home... View all comments on this entry Stupid And Temporary 2005-10-25 17:40:59
View all comments from this IP address 12.107.11.15

DISTURBED Unregistered Commenter
It sounds as though "GODDESS" you need to tak... View all comments on this entry Stupid And Temporary 2005-10-25 06:52:20
View all comments from this IP address 12.107.11.15

Quite frankly, this topic had receded into the background until you started posting it. I get between 5,000 and 10,000 unique visitors a day on my site -- without a word about Smart & Final. Perhaps the real concern here should be how a business got my phone number -- never provided to them -- after I merely used my credit card at their business. Anyone who reads Culture of Fear by Barry Glassner will understand that the stuff people are afraid of (dying in a plane crash, children being kidnapped, etc) is statistically improbable, and ridiculous to worry about.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 25, 2005 10:25 PM

Whoopsie, and it seems the other three negative comments, from

"Kreeped-out," "shame on you," and "Brian Snee"

may be from the same person as well! (I say "may be" because there's a variation in the end of one of the IP addresses, but two out of three are from the exact same one.) See below:

Kreeped-out Unregistered Commenter
If Im reading this correctly, Amy has shown u... View all comments on this entry Stupid And Temporary 2005-10-25 17:52:00
View all comments from this IP address 66.214.229.114

shame on you Unregistered Commenter
I think disturbed makes a good point. You sh... View all comments on this entry Stupid And Temporary 2005-10-25 17:00:55
View all comments from this IP address 66.214.46.236

Brian Snee Unregistered Commenter
Hi I am tim snee's son you guys are fucking i... View all comments on this entry Stupid And Temporary 2005-10-25 07:12:52
View all comments from this IP address 66.214.46.236

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 25, 2005 10:52 PM

It is quite apparent that you are disturbed by these comments (since you are now looking up IP addresses to correlate where all the comments came from), but what did you honestly expect when your blog promotted people to HARASS this family...obviously that is going to upset not only the family, but others who care about protecting the privacy of this family. I think that YOUR "blatant lack of consideration for others" was un-called for because, JUST LIKE YOU, they too value their privacy and their peace.

Posted by: DISTURBED at October 26, 2005 1:15 AM

Posted by: DISTURBED at October 26, 2005 1:16 AM

Um, hon, I have Movable Type. I don't have to look up IP addresses. They post with every comment on my system. Moreover, I have quite a history in detective work. It's something of a hobby. To date, I've recovered one stolen car, prosecuted one hit-and-run driver, found a woman's birth parents, and discovered who was harrassing one of my friends via email. This post here was long-gone for me until all these posts came up. I would imagine you're upping its Google ranking, the two of you who keep posting here pretending to be different people!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 26, 2005 8:09 AM

Your detective work lacks some credibility, because I do not know anyone else writing you. When you say "Accountability" is your objective, then I expect you will apoligize to his family. (Unless you are a hypocrite.)

Posted by: Kreeped-out at October 26, 2005 12:49 PM

My "detective work" is detailed in the article "Return of The Pink Rambler," on the front of my site. It was comprehensively fact-checked by the LA Times. My hit-and-run driver was prosecuted by Judge Kamins in Santa Monica Criminal Court.

My column runs in over 120 newspapers across the US and Canada. I would only apologize for something I've done wrong. I have done none here. In fact, I think I've done a positive thiing. See Abby's comment above. In fact, I'm proud of what I did, and I venture, as I said above, that Mr. Snee will not be autodialer-harrassing his customers again.

My concern now is how they got my phone number, considering I did not provide it to them.

Moreover, Mr. Snee's name is the one listed for that telephone. It's entirely appropriate to call him there, especially since he called me at home. Level playing field, and all that. It's just rare that anybody tries to level it, instead of just sucking up the abuse.

Furthermore, the last time I did something like this, I did make a difference. Martin Edelston, CEO of Bottom Line publications, who turned out to be quite a gentleman, said his company would no longer have telemarketers disturbing his customers at home, thanks to my complaint.

Again, nobody has the right to disturb me, on a phone line I pay for, in my own home, to promote their business. If somebody wants to call me and sell me something, I charge $62.30 per hour, to listen to pitches (one-hour minimum, payable in advance). My time is not free. Treating it as such is theft.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 26, 2005 2:36 PM

My comment was not an attempt to debate you. I simply want to point out the fact that if you are so concerned with holding those you "wrong" you accountable to their actions, then you may want to draw attention to those executives at smart and final who made the decision to call in the first place. Better yet, just a freindly suggestion... (once again, not an attempt at debate)why don't you spend time improving legislation. You can surely draw supporters to do that. You seem persuasive, why not be pro-active and strengthen the policies that created the "no call list", since after all, they seem to need a bit of improvement.
PS don't attack your readers...it's bad for business.

Posted by: you just lost a reader! at November 8, 2005 3:34 PM

Your comment, Miss Burt -- and all the rest that seemed to be from different people but were from the very same IP address you're writing from now -- 12.107.11.15 -- looks like an attempt to deceive me. I don't pander to my readers. If that's what you value in an advice columnist, you won't want to read my column anyway. Quite franky, I would imagine you don't read me to begin with, since I don't run in Santa Barbara. Just a guess, but could you be the girlfriend of the profanity fan posting above as "Brian Snee"? I don't have time to sponsor legislation, nor do I have the inclination, especially since I can be much more persuasive, I believe, as a vocal consumer.

Hmm, for a girl who doesn't read me, you sure do make an awful lot of visits to my blog!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 8, 2005 4:33 PM

Thank you for taking the time to address invasions of our privacy. I only wish more people were like you.

Posted by: GoodJob at December 26, 2005 10:47 PM

Bravo!

As for the paranoid retards complaining about the posting of the address - this is public information, takes about ten seconds to look it up if you have the name and town - which are clearly relevant to the article. It's too bad that you're such cowards that you see child molestors and Charlie Manson behind every tree. If you want to live that way, go to North Korea.

Posted by: Peter in Brooklyn at December 27, 2005 3:59 PM

Dear heavens, I love you. I had to do something similar once with a woman who happens to be married to a former friend of mine. Funny, she didn't harass me anymore after I posted that...

Posted by: Shannon at December 29, 2005 7:04 AM

I bow to you, Goddess after my own heart. I agree with everything you've done to stop the evil telemarketers from ever darkening our ringers.

Years ago I sued a Colorado Company called Unimart in small claims court for the use of my phone line. $50 / call * 4 calls (after sending them registered mail informing them of the fee for the use of my phone line) plus the filing fee. Imagine the look on the cocky sales manager's face when I won!

Their attorney wrote me a check the next day. Funny thing about that dialing machine of theirs. The cocky sales manager repeatedly claimed it could not be programmed to eliminate a specific number. But they never called again. Go figure...

My Lady Amy, you rock!

Posted by: Leland at December 29, 2005 9:53 PM

OOoh, that's a fabulous story...I have to try that.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 29, 2005 11:30 PM

You suck. What a horrible thing to do. You sank to thier level and engaged in harrassment.

Posted by: Tux at September 19, 2006 6:58 PM

Really? Harassment means disturbing somebody repeatedly. I simply reacted to being disturbed myself, and not repeatedly, either, but enough to communicate that it's unacceptable to hijack my time and a phone line I pay for in order to cut a business' communications costs.

What I did was hold a company accountable -- and the executive in question accountable -- for the company's actions, and then told the story. That's harassment how?

Do you think it's right for a company to use your time and your resources without your permission? Or do you have a personal agenda in this?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 19, 2006 10:39 PM