They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To
The power just came back on here on beachside Los Angeles after a massive brownout. Luckily, I had the perfect high-tech communications device for power outages.

brownoutphone.jpg

But while it seems, so far, that this is not an act of terrorism but an act of crumbling infrastructure, it was a lesson to me: Keep the car gassed up, the cell phone charged, and have a plan. I'm on deadline at the moment, but my director of emergency services/boyfriend is coming up with one now.

Kevin Roderick has power outage details, as always, at LAObserved.

Posted by aalkon at September 12, 2005 2:23 PM

Comments

I can't believe no one has burst in here, saying it's George Bush's fault!

Posted by: Radwaste at September 13, 2005 2:23 AM

Radwaste, most of us are able to make a distinction between a minor inconvenience and a horrible tragedy. You and Cliff May might think it's funny to compare the two, but it strikes a sour note.

Posted by: deja pseu at September 13, 2005 6:36 AM

Perhaps sour, but all too accurate right now.

Posted by: Dmac at September 13, 2005 7:56 AM

Accurate? Show me where there's a mass outcry blaming a 90 minute power outage on Bush.

Posted by: deja pseu at September 13, 2005 8:58 AM

Good lord, it's a general observation, not a specific accusation. The comments are in reference to the political climate right now.

And to buttress that earlier point, check out Kinsley's article from the LAT regarding the MSM's sterling efforts on gettting the facts straight on the hurricane.

How about saving some of your outrage for these transgressions of journalistic ineptitude in covering a "horrible tragedy?"

Posted by: Dmac at September 13, 2005 10:03 AM

Just for fun, here's the NY Times lead story:

Bush Takes Responsibility for Failures in Storm Response

Posted by: deja pseu at September 13, 2005 11:11 AM

Yes, he did take the appropriate responsibility here (finally), but when will the MSM take theirs? This story may have even more "legs" as they hope, but they may be paraphrasing a great wit's observation shortly:

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."

- Oscar Wilde

Posted by: Dmac at September 13, 2005 11:37 AM

Amy, if you look at the comment above, there is a colon at the end of the line which is a link to another blog. I don't know if it's some sort of spamming trick, but several of your other posts have a comment with similar remarks that link to the same webpage.

Posted by: nash at September 13, 2005 4:10 PM

Heh heh...blacklisted the bugger! It's so satisfying, I can't even tell you. I just push a button or two, and they're banned from my site forever...then their URL gets automatically sent off to Jay Allen's MT Blacklist masterlist to be blacklisted from everybody's MT sites!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 13, 2005 4:35 PM