Like The Rest Of New York, He's Freezing His Ass Off

freezingstatue.jpg

This guy could at least use a leopard-skin loincloth. Maybe that's why he looks a little pissed off.

Gregg and I had an amazing time in NYC, but damn, that town was cold. To all the PETA nutballs out there: You freeze your scrawny, vegetarian asses off; I'm getting a mouton coat. I don't like shearlings; they make you look like a woodcutter with an Amex gold card. But, I found a few vintage mouton coats at a thrift store/vintage store on 31st or 32nd. None really fit (ladies apparently had much shorter arms back then -- Tyranosaurus Rex-style), but these coats seem really warm, and I'm now after one...like a baby seal on a socialite's left shoulder blade.

Posted by aalkon at November 21, 2005 9:52 AM

Comments

Having just put up a Persian lamb coat that belonged to my mother, for consignment, I can tell you that it is not that arms were shorter. It's that they wore 3/4 length sleeves on the coat accessorized w/ long leather gloves. So just get a nice pair of gloves and you will be in business.

Posted by: hrc at November 21, 2005 6:36 AM

Sigh. I used to have nice warm gloves -- for riding a Harley Davidson -- which I wore to keep my fingers from falling off as I rode my bike (the kind you pedal) around Manhattan. As a tall person, I look almost as dippy in 3/4 sleeves as I do in cropped pants, which I approach in stores as if I could get the death penalty for wearing. (They look great on anyone who is ass-free, which I am not.)

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 21, 2005 7:17 AM

....ass-free, which I am not.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Posted by: Stu "El Inglés" Harris at November 21, 2005 10:35 AM

Whoa! The Advice Goddess, biker trash? On second look, no. Just the gloves, huh? Doggonit.

For a minute, I thought I was going to have a recruit for Women on Wheels (http://womenonwheels.org/), a delightful collection of (sometimes "alpha") persons doing something different. I'm a "support member"; my wife and her friends are out on two wheels on a regular basis. The number of women on bikes of all sorts is going up dramatically, as the popular word gets out that there are more things to do than what you are told you can by some authority figure.

I know you're the one giving advice, Amy, but take some this time: go for a ride!

Posted by: Radwaste at November 23, 2005 3:05 PM

Make that bicycle trash. Who could afford a motorcycle back in those days? I do love bikes. Both kinds.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 23, 2005 5:03 PM