Sorry, Did My Driving Get In The Way Of Your Phone Call?

lacienega1.jpg
Weaving woman, La Cienega near the 10 Fwy, 12:03 am, Thursday morning.

lacienega2.jpg
A less-grainy photo of Miss Chattypants.

Perhaps because she was engrossed in her call, it took her a while to come to the realization that she was being photographed and cover her face. Just like it took her a while to realize she was coming into my lane. Right next to me. While I happened to be occupying it. Charming.

Posted by aalkon at November 10, 2005 9:17 AM

Comments

The real question is, why were you out on a school-night?

Posted by: The Mad Hungarian at November 10, 2005 4:41 AM

Oh, I just love being able to say this: I had private detective business.

(Emmanuelle Richard put together a forum on private detectives at LA Press Club.)

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 10, 2005 6:44 AM

It's pretty much a given these days that anytime I see someone doing bonehead maneuvers behind the wheel that they're talking on the cell phone.

Posted by: deja pseu at November 10, 2005 7:39 AM

I used to ride my bike all over New York City (watch out for those car doors opening), and even rollerskate from Lafayette and Houston to 48th and 5th every day for a while, but these days, I'm terrified to even go through a few residential neighborhoods on my bike enroute to the beach due to so many people driving attention-free.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 10, 2005 8:03 AM

> It's pretty much a given these days that
> anytime I see someone doing bonehead
> maneuvers behind the wheel that they're
> talking on the cell phone.

Yes! Grrr! Backyard swimmers in Indiana used to post tiny sarcastic signs that said "I don't swim in your toilet, so please don't piss in my pool." This should be updated to "I don't drive through your phone booth, so...."

But with TEETH. We need a safe, mild way to PUNISH and humiliate people who put our lives at risk this way.

Alkon is a pioneer in this important new effort.

Posted by: Crid at November 10, 2005 9:16 AM

I keep hoping for a hands-free law in California. I know it won't solve all the problems with cell phones in the driver's seat, but at least it will get some people to place both hands on the wheel.

People like to tell me to "drive safely!" when they see me depart on my Vespa. I like to point out that I am 90-100% safer than most people driving cars, by the simple fact that ALL I'm doing is driving. I'm not on the phone, not smoking, not changing the radio. Not having a french-dip sandwich.

Posted by: swayframe at November 10, 2005 11:48 AM

Thank you, Crid. I see it as my mission. Among others. I hope somebody recognizes this girl and tells her.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 10, 2005 4:45 PM

Which is harder: talking and driving, or shooting pictures and driving?

Posted by: Radwaste at November 11, 2005 6:59 AM

Note the non-blurry quality of the photos. In other words, I was stopped at the light. As was Miss Chattypants.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 11, 2005 7:43 AM

Joe Simitian is a California legislator from Palo Alto who is trying to pass either a ban on using a cell phone while driving, or a hands-free requirement. If you live in California and support this, I'd advise writing your state legislators and copying Joe on it. (I took note of the name not only because I support his efforts, but also because I knew Joe in college).

Posted by: Melissa at November 11, 2005 1:55 PM

Then well done, Amy. I'll brush my teeth just in case to have an urge to snap me in traffic somewhere! (Not likely - I'm in SC, and I notice you don't say "y'all" often.)

Posted by: Radwaste at November 12, 2005 12:19 PM