Lost?

camelman1.jpg

Man on camel, dead of winter, Birmingham, Michigan.

Posted by aalkon at December 4, 2005 11:35 AM

Comments

Cultures often mix elements from distant origins with seemingly inane results. For example, there's a town in Michigan (Chippewa) called Birmingham (Anglo-saxon, West Midlands).

Posted by: Crid at December 4, 2005 10:33 AM

No dear, when I said "Let's fuck" a couple of days ago I wasn't being literal. "Let's fuck" is the new "How do you do" of Generation Y. And just like you don't actually answer "how do you do," you just say "how do you do" back, you answer "let's fuck" with "let's fuck." Get it?

Maybe it's just an Orange County thing.

Posted by: Willz at December 4, 2005 3:19 PM

I guess it's an OC thing, but hello to you, too.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 4, 2005 7:40 PM

Did you crop out the rest of the Nativity Scene that was in that picture?

Posted by: kate at December 4, 2005 8:54 PM

As a native Orange County resident, Willz, I would say "Let's Fuck" is a juvenile and insipid greeting.

"Grow up dickwad", which is a way of saying "grow up dickwad", is how I think Amy should have replied.

Posted by: eric at December 4, 2005 8:58 PM

No, I just didn't shoot it in that photo. Being the godless harlot I am, I only shot the photo because I thought it was hliarious to see a plastic man on a camel in the middle of a snow scene.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 4, 2005 9:00 PM

Which brings to mind all the Christmas songs you hear, referring to the way the baby Jesus supposedly "shivers in the cold." (from Do You Hear What I Hear?)

Jesus was born in the desert, and probably during the spring when the lambs were being birthed. Unless there was a cold snap not mentioned by the gospel writers, it was highly unlikely that he would be shivering in the cold.

Posted by: Patrick at December 4, 2005 10:03 PM

Was Willz reposnding to Amy's next post?

Posted by: Crid at December 5, 2005 12:00 AM

Last year I was in NY around this time of year for meetings. My co-worker and I were cutting through Rockfeller center on our way to the office when we spotted...a camel. A live one. We followed the camel and his handler around the corner to find...two more camels! Turns out they were part of the Radio City Christmas show, which features live animals. But it was a wonderfully weird experience.

Posted by: deja pseu at December 5, 2005 6:29 AM

A better question than, "Did you crop that out of a nativity scene?" is this one: "What makes you think a nativity scene is authentic?"

Go look it up. The "nativity scene" is really one of those bizarre memes.

Posted by: Radwaste at December 5, 2005 7:15 PM