Where The Wild Things Were...Again

childwave.jpg

No, it isn't exactly the food version of WWIII on this table, but people with children should realize that Starbucks isn't Lutece -- they don't have a small army of busboys running around with those little crumb spatulas to clean up between courses or patrons.

Posted by aalkon at December 22, 2005 11:20 AM

Comments

They may not have busboys, but they have sleeping guys in the backround, eh?

What-- they aren't going to clean up after me?

Posted by: Deirdre B. at December 22, 2005 3:44 AM

As long as he doesn't spit up or sleep-shout into his cellphone, it's fine by me. In fact, I wish more people would go about their daily lives unconscious, except for the people already doing it while behind the wheel.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 22, 2005 3:52 AM

Then you'd enjoy riding the bus with me every morning. Last week, when a snowstorm had bus traffic backed up really badly, I got an extra-long nap. Bonus!

Back in my much younger days of working in fast-food service, it irritated me to no end when people (again, often families with small children) just left their trays and garbage all over the table when clearly there were no busboys. When I accidentally make a mess at a table, I make some effort to clean it up somewhat, whether there's bus service or not.

Posted by: Sheila at December 22, 2005 5:26 AM

people are pigs and i've read that cannibals say that we taste like them too.

Posted by: -mike- at December 22, 2005 7:43 AM

Last week, I saw a family with the most polite young children at Starbucks. The kids were around five, two boys. At one point, one of them got cranky, but the dad quickly quieted him down. I didn't even remember they were behind me until I got up an hour later to leave. I said, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but you're not from around here, are you?" They were from London, visiting. The wife was a Brit.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 22, 2005 7:49 AM

This isn't just kids. It's grownups also. People throw the garbage and cigarettes
butts out windows. Just look at the sidewalk or the street when you are walking and there is trash everywhere.

My gym (sports club la/beverly hills location) the people are pigs. They throw towells everywhere, leave razors in showers, water bottles everywhere.

There is a sense of entitlement with a vast number of people when it comes to respect for others around them. This is true for garbage, picking up after yourself, being loud in public, cutting in front of people, blocking traffic in a tow away zone, and so on.

Posted by: alex the sea turtle at December 22, 2005 10:28 AM

You're right. It's disgusting. Here in Santa Monica, if your cigarette butt goes on the sidewalk, there's a good chance it'll go down the storm drain right into the ocean. My concern is always, "Am I bothering somebody else?" The girl shouting into her cellphone here at Starbucks as I'm typing this sentence apparently doesn't share my concern. It helps to look at these people with astonishment, as if they just dropped a turd on the floor in front of you...suggesting that their behavior is completely, shockingly unacceptable, which it is. Part of the reason, I believe, that many people feel lonely and alienated in this society is this narcissistic behavior...which says a lot about the person's utter lack of interest in anyone but themselves.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 22, 2005 10:43 AM

Absolutely. The one that gets to me the most is people who abandon shopping carts all over the store and parking lot when there are places everywhere to "park" them. It's like they're thinking, "well, geez. Someone else will pick it up." Even if it isn't completely obvious where to put them, the least people could do is leave them somewhere they're not a nuisance. And yet, just recently I've seen people dump them squarely in front of the courtesy elevator, in front of the doors, blocking the checkout where I happened to be paying...

Posted by: Sheila at December 22, 2005 12:46 PM

Hmmm, that restaurant table doesn't seem to warrant all this clucking and spluttering to me. Nothing's ever going to beat the diaper-changing atrocity -- and that was Paris VIeme as I recall.

Posted by: Stu "El Inglés" Harris at December 23, 2005 7:40 AM

Some reporter from the Wall Street Journal actually called me to ask me about that, but I think I got back to him to late, probably because of the time dif.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 23, 2005 8:50 AM

And the surprising number of people in my neighborhood who don't pick up their dog poop off other people's front yards.

Posted by: deja pseu at December 23, 2005 10:49 AM