Smart Deco

DonSmith1454jpg.jpg

photo by Don Smith

Will Smart cars launch in the US? DaimlerChrysler will decide next month, says Forbes.

Posted by aalkon at May 23, 2006 11:50 AM

Comments

Oh, sure. I see those things catching on in the U.S. Call them "Death by Hummer." I love the design and the concept, but I'm not anxious to be peeled off the street because of some idiot in an H3 who couldn't see me.

Posted by: Patrick at May 23, 2006 11:15 AM

What Patrick said.

Every time you post a picture of one of those, they become a little more attractive. But this planet has a million bad ways to die, and worst of all would be to get hit in your Smart Car by a soccer mom in an SUV who likes to talk on her bluetooth with her hands.

Posted by: Crid at May 23, 2006 12:12 PM

I like the idea, it would be great for my commute. My only problem is that it is half a car at the full price. They want 25K for these things. I know it's a mecedes, but that's a lot of fuel I have to save before it's paid off.

Maybe a japanese company will build a clone in the $15,000 price range. Until then, I think I'm going with a golf tdi. Similar milage and price without the stares.

Posted by: steve at May 23, 2006 12:18 PM

I love Smarts, had one in Paris, perfect for small-street cities. But in freeway L.A. where monster cars are used as weapons of assertion, I wouldn't risk it. I drive a Jetta here, which seemed enormous to the Parisian me when I bought it -- still, I mostly find myself at bumper level, so enormous the other cars are... can't wait for really expensive gas, to teach those small-willy-big-car schmucks (and schmuckettes) a lesson.

Posted by: Frog in L.A. at May 23, 2006 1:54 PM

We've got Smarts in Canada, and they're not very smart. No spare tire, and everything else on the road is 10 times their size, including Civics. Got a deathwish? Drive a Smart Car.

They're great for small European countries with tiny streets, but rather dangerous in other situations.

Posted by: martini at July 3, 2006 10:49 AM