As you can see, I'm back in LA.

itsybitsycar.jpg

Pictured here (photo by Gregg), talking on a phone from the past, after photographing what I hope will be one of the cars of the future, at least for people who usually drive solo, like me.

Amyphonebooth2.jpg

Posted by aalkon at June 12, 2006 12:29 PM

Comments

How many clowns come out of it?

Posted by: Jim Treacher at June 12, 2006 7:56 AM

The phone booth or the car?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at June 12, 2006 8:37 AM

I just saw one in the phone booth! j/k lolz

Posted by: Jim Treacher at June 12, 2006 9:30 AM

Cute, but it looks like a hummer snack to me, I'd be totally scared to drive it in L.A.!

That being said, there seems to be a new, welcome trend for smaller cars. I saw a very small Mitsubishi yesterday (with manufacturer plates), it looked like a 4-seat Smart:

At the Bergamot Station, there's also a small electrical car which is hooked to its own solar panel outlet, pretty cool (next to the Patricia Faure Gallery).

Posted by: Frog in L.A. at June 12, 2006 9:41 AM

Now there's an idea whose time has come....

Posted by: Stu "El Inglés" Harris at June 12, 2006 11:08 AM

I know that some movie theaters in Paris have systems that block cellphones... bliss!

Posted by: Frog in L.A. at June 12, 2006 11:47 AM

Speaking of Verizon:

Posted by: Crid at June 12, 2006 12:30 PM

"Did you hear on NPR this morning, somebody's invented a type of nanotube paint that can totally block cellphones?"

The trick is getting the phone into the paint can without a fight.

Posted by: Jim Treacher at June 12, 2006 9:26 PM

That car reminds me of the micro-machines I used to play with. I LOVE it.

Posted by: LXV at June 13, 2006 6:00 AM

I don't see why Daimler would bring Smart to the US. Considering the demand would be much, much lower than it is in Europe, it would have to take additional costs to make it street legal and despite the ubiquity and significant advantages it has in Europe, it has never made a profit.

Not to mention you can get similar gas milage (and more car) with a VW TDI.

Posted by: Mo at June 13, 2006 6:06 AM

That's actually not a Smart car. It's much smaller than a Smart. If my Honda Insight had a pet, it would be that car.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at June 13, 2006 6:08 AM

How many cylinders? Could it get over the Sepulveda pass?

Posted by: Crid at June 13, 2006 10:23 AM

The Baltimore Sun ran an article on 6/13 about a University of Maryland professor who owns three Smart cars -- two of which are in storage in California because he can't get them cleared to run in the U.S. The third one he bought here, and uses regularly. Here's a link to the article (sorry, login may be required):

Posted by: mbm at June 13, 2006 11:02 PM