Amy Alkon, Shoe Whore
While some feel inclined to brag about how much their shoes and clothes cost, I prefer to brag about how much they didn't. The trick is, never shop in season: Buy your cashmere sweaters in January, just as they're bringing in cotton skirts for spring, and buy your suede boots in July and August, just as they're about to bring in the cashmere sweaters for fall. My latest find? $148.95 Richard Tyler boots for $39.95, including shipping, at Zappos.com. Woohoo!

1733-207232-3.jpg

Posted by aalkon at July 11, 2006 8:34 AM

Comments

Zappos is the best!!! I love that if I see something in the stores that they're out of in my size or color, zappos.com almost always has it. You got a good deal there. Those are cute!

Posted by: deja pseu at July 11, 2006 7:21 AM

Interesting. You seem to be all for saving energy, unless it impinges upon your fashion sense. Buy cheap shoes and wear them until they fall apart.

Posted by: Oligonicella at July 11, 2006 7:39 AM

Are you on crack?

Actually, I buy far fewer clothes and shoes than most Americans, because I don't follow trends, and instead have personal style. My style is still pretty much what it was 10 or 15 years ago, and I generally buy a couple very nice things every year, and not lots of little things. Additionally, I shop a lot at designer resale stores and thrift stores...fashion ecology!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 11, 2006 8:13 AM

Nope. My apologies. Those look like very reasonable shoes that will only fall apart after several wearings.

Posted by: Oligonicella at July 11, 2006 3:37 PM

Then you know nothing about shoes. I suggest you buy quality shoes instead of cheap shoes, which are surely bad for your feet. Also, if you want to get a good job, or look attractive (very important if you're a woman or in a profession where looks matter -- such as any career where you aren't serving the blind), you should probably dress up. For me, it's also a matter of personal pride.

PS I can't imagine a LAMER argument than wearing ugly shoes and clothes to save energy. Surely you can do better than that.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 11, 2006 4:49 PM

I was taught to look at it this way: buying fewer pieces of higher quality will actually save you money in the long run. Well-made clothing and shoes are also more flattering and comfortable, so you'll look better too.

Posted by: deja pseu at July 13, 2006 9:34 AM