Big Brother Wants You To Shut The Fuck Up
From a Hollywood Reporter story on MSNBC, the FCC is checking live sports tapes for dirty words:

“I don’t know how they are going to rule, but they asked us for tapes with a specific emphasis on crowd noise,” said another TV executive, who also requested anonymity. “If some bozo in the crowd calls the ref an a--hole, the commission is asking for a copy of the tape.”

A live, on-field event — albeit when no athletes were on the field — during the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show, when Janet Jackson’s breast was accidentally bared, helped reignite Washington’s interest in the indecency issue. Since then there has been a highly charged fight at the commission about just how far the commission can go in restricting broadcasts.

Court fight continues
Broadcasters last week split over whether the commission should be allowed to get one of the premier indecency cases back from the federal court in New York.

In a series of motions filed Friday in federal court in New York, Fox and its affiliate group, CBS and NBC opposed an attempt this week by the FCC to get a key indecency case back from the court.

The commission this month asked the same federal court for more time to consider affiliates’ arguments that the agency erred in March when it decided variations of the words “f---” and “s---” likely are to be indecent whenever broadcast, even if the words are uttered accidentally.

A delay would let affiliates contest the decisions before the commission. The FCC contends that this is a necessary step before arguing in court. The agency said ABC, NBC and CBS affiliates backed its request.

Under federal court rulings and commission rules, material is indecent if it “in context, depicts or describes sexual or excretory activities or organs in a patently offensive manner as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium.” Indecent speech can be aired safely between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Under a new law approved by Congress and signed by President Bush, broadcasters face fines of as much as $325,000 per violation, up from a previous maximum of $32,500.

More and more, our government is acting like our mommy. While they're busy checking to see if we said naughty words, they're also busy declaring Indiana the state with the most targets for terrorists, and picked a few other choice targets, too:

In addition to the petting zoo, in Woodville, Ala., and the Mule Day Parade in Columbia, Tenn., the auditors questioned many entries, including “Nix’s Check Cashing,” “Mall at Sears,” “Ice Cream Parlor,” “Tackle Shop,” “Donut Shop,” “Anti-Cruelty Society” and “Bean Fest.”

For the record, I recently said "blow job" on the radio (thinking it was Internet radio only, which, it turns out, it wasn't). I won't name the show, lest the Govern-Mommy is peeking in on my site, but luckily, not allowing dirty free speech is a big concern for them, and they bleeped me, saving $325,000 in one push of a button!

Posted by aalkon at July 12, 2006 11:08 AM

Comments

It makes me sick that our government spends time trying to solve these fake problems when things like stem cell research can't get any play.

Posted by: Jake at July 12, 2006 11:54 AM

If stem cells are so promising, why do they need government investment?

Posted by: Crid at July 12, 2006 12:24 PM

"Shut the fuck up" is one of the great statements of life. God should get rid of one of the other commandments and replace it with "Shut the fuck up." Samuel Jackson could be Moses.

Posted by: eric at July 12, 2006 12:40 PM

Crid, it would be all right if it was legal to obtain them to do research...that would be the first step, and doesn't require much "government investment," except for the time Congress spends considering, hmm, why ARE all of our best biologists moving to Europe?

As for cursing on TV, please, if it needs to replayed to catch it, give me a break. I really, really just wish I could stay in Germany. I get the feeling my tax Euros are probably better spent here.

Posted by: Brenda at July 12, 2006 1:23 PM

Brenda, it's not illegal to procure =embryonic= stem cells, even cloned ones -- just no federal funding will go into it. That's why Harvard can set up a center just for that:
and, note, it's not using any federal funding. So that's not a problem.

And, of course, stem cells come from more than just embryos. Adult stem cells (such as from bone marrow) are showing real promise, because you don't have to muck about with having to snip the nucleus out of someone else's cells and can just treat a person with cells already in their own body that already contains their own DNA. There's also stem cells found in placentas and umbilical cord blood -- women are giving birth all the time, so it would be pretty easy to procure this stuff, as opposed to the rather involved procedure to get donor eggs.

But this is =WAY= off topic.

Back to the regular topic, you've got to be fucking shitting me, Pyle. Background noise that people generally tune out? This is almost as bad as the feds playing LPs backward to find Satanic messages that aren't even there.

In any case, I hate bureaucrats, so if we could get rid of the FCC entire, that would be cool by me.

Posted by: meep at July 12, 2006 2:22 PM

> why ARE all of our best biologists
> moving to Europe?

Are they? I don't doubt your word, but have you got a convenient (googlable) citation sitting around?

Posted by: Crid at July 12, 2006 2:24 PM

Well, as trustworthy as "googlable" Internet websites normally are, I usually stick with academic databases, but merry Christmas.

You are right, though. These guys are moving to Asia, too. And I have the anecdotal evidence of my cell biologist friends (one of whom has a Marshall...that's a prestigious scholarship) who went to the UK post-grad, and who are, objectively speaking, geniuses. But maybe things will get better, because after "googling," I realized I missed the news that California is starting to fund, leading to other States doing the same. Go California!

Posted by: Brenda at July 12, 2006 4:24 PM

> I usually stick with academic
> databases, but merry Christmas.

Wow! You're really persuasive!

Posted by: Crid at July 12, 2006 4:41 PM

Though I didn't follow Brenda's link, I can not resist Ermey, so...

You'd best unfuck yourself Meep!

Posted by: eric at July 12, 2006 5:07 PM

err- Crid. GodDAMNIT!

Posted by: eric at July 12, 2006 5:10 PM

Sigh. The link was the persuasive part of the post, Crid. What you quoted was condescension, in response to what was perceived by condescension on your part, and also, judging by your response, seemingly succeeded.

There was also a very good article in the Scientist, but unfortunately, the archives aren't "googlable."

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the link, and the rest of the conversation can be devoted to the FCC, and their desire to rid the world of inaudible expletives, one sporting event at a time.

Eric, I may not have read closely, but what do you mean by Ermey? Just curious.

Posted by: Brenda at July 12, 2006 5:56 PM

Your link describes Saudi Arabia as a bold new frontier for medicine. This is difficult to believe.

Posted by: Crid at July 12, 2006 6:56 PM

Don't know why someone would bleep that out. i sometimes catch the always dreaded Doctor Drew on the radio version of the show "Loveline" and they say things worse than blow job.....and the show is carried on a Clear Channel station.

Posted by: Rob at July 13, 2006 7:49 AM

Brenda-

Ermey is R Lee Ermey, the actor who Meep referred to from the film Full Metal Jacket. He plays the Marine staff seargant, and also hosts the military based television show Mail Call, on the History Channel. Hoorah!

go to: http://www.rleeermey.com/

Posted by: eric at July 13, 2006 8:54 AM

Rob, late-nite radio operates under a dicey umbrella called Safe Harbor:

I can't tell if it was a ever an explicitly formalized protection for radio. But in comparative terms, those guys got away with murder. That morning radio is populated with 40-year-olds screaming "Drop trou!" hours after the same transmitters had been beaming anal sex information to middle-schoolers says something weird about the American character.

Posted by: Crid at July 13, 2006 10:17 AM

R. Lee was actually a Gunnery Sgt. in that film....

Posted by: Rob at July 13, 2006 10:32 AM

Having shot more than my fair share of live TV crowd stuff, I can say that it's expensive to have to fix every idiot's F-word scream. But if those people knew there's no hope of their own ethnic slur, f-bomb getting on the air, there might be less screaming. It's a huge pain.

Posted by: KateCOe at July 13, 2006 11:01 AM

The price of freedom of speech in the USA is now $13.00/month. The BEST value in entertainment is now Sirius Satellite Radio where you can hear Howard Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge and a host of others say whatever the FUCK they want, 24/7! After all, it has been said that freedom isn't free.

Posted by: Bill Henry at July 14, 2006 3:23 AM