Dumb And Hummer

HummerCorner.jpg

I was meeting these very cool people (friends of an editor who runs my column) at Shutters Hotel in Santa Monica. I saw a fire engine, stopped, lights flashing, up ahead at Pico and Ocean, so I thought I'd be really clever and turn off onto the back streets. Problem was, some bunwad in one of those tarted up Greyhounds for assholes had the same idea. He backed up traffic behind me (and made me late) while he tried to bend the laws of physics. Finally, he just drove over the grass.

Hummer2.jpg

Posted by aalkon at July 24, 2006 1:44 PM

Comments

Gotta pass on this gem, heard at a bbq party over the weekend:

"Lawyer pal of mine is doing better than ever in the foreclosure business. He says his technique is simple: Follow the Hummers to the foreclosures".

Posted by: Stu "El Inglés" Harris at July 24, 2006 7:03 AM

Now, now. A girl only gets one Quinceañera.

Posted by: Paul Hrissikopoulos at July 24, 2006 8:07 AM

personally, I don't like long hummers. I lose interest.

Posted by: smurfy at July 24, 2006 11:15 AM

Ahem! The limo has the same engine as the regular Hummers do, but it's not driving to Wal-Mart because its owner is bored, it has more than the driver in it for at least half its life, AND the idiot in it talking on a cell phone is more likely to be a passenger.

Hey, if it's got five or six people in it, it's getting more passenger-miles per gallon than your Insight with just you in it! You should be happy!

Posted by: Radwaste at July 24, 2006 6:01 PM

Great story and great photos!
Ah, those fatsos who can't move around...

Posted by: LA Frog at July 24, 2006 6:18 PM

Not related, but...just read this and thought of you:

The FDA has finally approved L'Oreal's Anthelios.

Posted by: bev at July 24, 2006 8:00 PM

Posting about it tomorrow. Unfortunately, they're just releasing skin cream with Mexoryl, from what I read, not sunblock. I still have a stockpile from France, and from my friend Nancy Nall, who went to Canada for it, and I'll continue to buy Anthelios #60 pour visage (the most protective one they have) until they sell it here. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 24, 2006 8:06 PM

Raddy, my Insight is a SULEV - a "super-ultra-low-emissions vehicle" -- I don't think we can say the same for the disgustingmobile. Furthermore, it held me and a whole bunch of other people up for quite some time. I get about 50mpg in non-traffic-jammy city traffic, 66 or so on the highway if it's not too jammed. And I don't hold anybody's life up. I can't believe that thing gets even 10mpg.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 24, 2006 8:10 PM

That thing could be sent to Israel....think about how many troops you could cram in there...A dry land Higgins boat....

Posted by: Rob at July 25, 2006 6:13 AM

oh that is just SO WRONG!

Posted by: Jennifer Fader at July 26, 2006 3:23 PM