Some Are Less Demure About It Than Others

68MPG.jpg

A friend snapped a photo of one of my cars' relatives. (Full disclosure: I only get about 66 or 67 mpg on the highway.)

Posted by aalkon at August 9, 2006 11:25 AM

Comments

I guess he is spending what he saves on gas on an expensive personalized license plate.

Posted by: Claudia at August 9, 2006 10:22 AM

Claudia, you have no idea how much money you save on gas. A personalized license plate is what, $50? Last year, I spent $207 on gas. It would have been less, but I get premium.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at August 9, 2006 11:31 AM

That's great, but you are still shlepping around way too much car for most of your trips.

What's killing us is the ocean of one-person-per-car commuters that washes over our metro areas each morning and evening.

For daily commutes, may I suggest:

and:

- 3 wheels means no need to stick your foot out when stopping, and rock-solid stability when turning - no wipe-outs!

Posted by: Ben-David at August 10, 2006 9:47 AM

I used to ride a bike or rollerskate all over Manhattan -- on four-wheel skates, not blades. These days, I'm afraid even getting from my house through a neighborhood to the bike path because of all the assholes on cell phones not paying attention to the road. My car weighs 1900 lbs. It's about the least car you can get and still be relatively safe from the gigundo SUVs.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at August 10, 2006 10:07 AM

Sigh - yes, I hear that a lot. Except in urban areas where the advantages of the cycle/small car come to the fore.

What is with those hulking SUVs?

Have people in the States gotten so morbidly obese in the decade I've lived overseas that they can no longer fit into normal station wagons - or into the normal-to-compact cars that equally tall Scandinavians and other Europeans drive?

So now everyone is upgrading - the car as urban armor - creating a ripple effect of gas guzzling.

Posted by: Ben-David at August 10, 2006 1:39 PM

USA Today:

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Posted by: Crid at August 10, 2006 9:24 PM

I just read that. It's absolutely disgusting. Who needs 10,000 square feet? 20 rooms? What, he has a room for each shoe he owns?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at August 11, 2006 12:30 AM