Bansky Pranksy

_40963231_soldierwithspraycan_203.jpg

British prankster Banksy steals into New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and other museums and leaves a few calling cards -- including this one just above:

Banksy has staged similar stunts in the past, managing to smuggle some works into Britain's Tate Gallery and the Louvre in France.

He told Reuters news agency he had been inspired to do so by his sister, who once threw away several of his pictures saying they would never hang in the world-renowned Paris museum.

His unusual pieces of art briefly on display in New York included a military officer holding a spray can with anti-war graffiti in the background - which he smuggled into the Brooklyn Museum.

A hi-tech beetle, equipped with missiles stuck to its wings, was hung in the Natural History Museum's "Hall of biodiversity".

Asked how he managed to dodge security checks, Banksy said he used a fake beard and was helped by accomplices who distracted museum personnel.

"Obviously, they've got their eye a lot more on things leaving than things going in, which works in my favour."

What's the all-time great prank you've heard of -- or pulled?

Posted by aalkon at September 5, 2006 9:55 AM

Comments

Bansky
His latest stunt I was reading about, is he has counterfited hundreds of Paris Hiltons new album with fake artwork. Replacing her head with a pic of her dog, ect... A few have been found but supposedly many are still in record stores.
This guy is good.

Posted by: B at September 5, 2006 8:27 AM

The 1961 Rose Bowl prank. Devious, humiliating, hilarious, and witnessed by millions.

Posted by: Gary S. at September 5, 2006 8:48 AM

Freshman year in college:

I was living with 3 roomies. Still not sure entirely why, but because I was a little eccentric (i.e. weird), they decided to make it their job to cause me grief. They spread a number of rumors about me, mainly concerning my being gay (I'm not), and a satan worshipper (I'm not). Go figure, this is Ohio, and some of them were from "small towns"...these are the fears that kept them up at night. They'd also crank their stereo or play drums when I'd have my small radio on (to drown it out), or when I was sleeping. I decided to pretty much ignore them, do my own thing, and work around it. What broke the camel's back was when they decided to deface artwork (that I made) that hung from the outside of my bedroom door with nasty things in permanent marker.

I was quite tempted to simply kick the crap out of all 3 of them (wouldn't have been hard), but decided to take a much lower road.

If they wanted to think I was a satan worshipper, I'll give them proof. Got a bigger stereo, played a lot of speed/satanic metal and dark-sounding organ fugues... Decorated my walls with the most evil looking posters I could find. Since I was into blacksmithing in high school (anachronistic tendancies), I hung swords, battleaxes, and daggers from my walls...and kept my room lit with candlelight whenever they might see it. Oh, and since I had went to a halloween party as the grim reaper earlier that year, I started wearing the black robe throughout the dorm room. The crowning bit was for them to come home to find me cutting some chicken with a crys knife in the middle of the kitchen floor...inside a large pentacle drawn with electrical tape, with candles on each point. Needless to say they were a little unnerved, which I made worse by acting crazier than usual. After they made a hasty retreat (and made a point to keep a very clear distance from me), I took the meat up, breaded it, and fried it in some oil on the stove...pretty tasty.

I rarely act to get revenge...but when I do, it's usually a pretty elaborate prank/stunt. There are worse, but some are of fairly questionable legality, so I'll stick with this one. :)

Posted by: jnichols at September 5, 2006 10:36 AM

jnichols, that is just fabulous.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 6, 2006 6:57 AM

And the Rose Bowl thing - hilarious. Link here:

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 6, 2006 7:00 AM

Also, some Yale fans did a modern version of the Rose Bowl prank a couple years ago, in which they tricked the Harvard cheering section into holding up cards that read "WE SUCK."

Posted by: Gary S. at September 6, 2006 7:52 AM

When I was in the army, I was stationed at the Defense Language Institute, known for its very casual environment. Our rooms were quite nice, by army standards, but still we were three to a room. I lived with two guys named Stan and Mark.

Anyhow, one night, there was a furious drum-roll banging on the door that caused it to rattle in its frame and a very drunk friend of Stan's was on the other side. Three in the morning on a weeknight and we were all sound asleep, but his insistent banging suggested that he knew it was late and didn't care.

Mark answered the door, and found Stan's drunken friend (named German) on the other side, asking if Stan made it back to the barracks.

"Yeah, he's here," Mark replied disgustedly.

"Let me go look at him," the drunk replied.

"What's the matter? Don't you believe me?" replied Mark and slammed the door.

"Fucking dumbass," I said as Mark went back to his bed. Stan, it seems, was the only person who was not awakened by this.

Anyhow, early one morning, I happened by Stan's drunk friend's room and tapped on the door. No answer. I tried the knob and discovered it turned. Dumbass didn't lock his door. Careless.

So, I snuck inside and discovered Stan's drunk friend sound asleep in bed, with his girlfriend right next to him. Oooh, risky behavior. Females are only allowed in guys' rooms during only selected hours. And the door must kept propped open while she visits. Spending the night together as they did would have gotten them chaptered out of the Army post haste.

I snuck back out into the hallway, put on my best First Sergeant's voice (I could actually do a good impression of my First Sergeant -- obviously a talent to be judiciously employed), stuck my own key in the lock, rattled it, and opened the door. "First Sergeant" announced a "health and welfare" inspection, a surprise night time inspection of the barracks for the expressed contraband, like drugs, or more than the regulation amount of alcohol...or hot chicks in your bed.

Since the room was L-shaped, I was actually able to clamber around the room quite a bit with my "inspection," before I stuck my head around the corner and said, "Gotcha!"

From their direction, I heard their voices in decidely labored breathing. (No, not because of what they were doing.) Finally, the drunk spoke.

"Colliano, (pant, pant, pant, pant) you fucking jerk (pant, pant, pant, pant)!"

"Oh, my God! Feel my heart beat," she said.

"Feel yours??? Feel mine!"

"This was a warning, German. You come banging on my door at three in the morning again, I come up with something worse. This was simply too easy. Next time we have a midget throwing contest with your sawed-off little body."

It never happened again.