The Tenants Of The Conservative Right
Embarrassing error in Monday's LA Times profile of Sam Harris by Gina Piccalo. I read the error Monday at 9 a.m., and as I'm typing this sentence (Monday at 11:08 p.m.) it has yet to be corrected. Here's a screen shot:

tenantsofreligright.jpg

Um, sorry, but that would probably be the tenets. As in beliefs, not Christian people renting rooms.

Just a thought, but Tribune bottom line notwithstanding, a few good copy editors should be probably offered tenancy over there on Spring Street. Even if there are, in the words of the late David Shaw, hordes of seasoned editors going over every comma:

"At least four experienced Times editors will have examined this column [before publication], for example," Shaw boasted. "They will have checked it for accuracy, fairness, grammar, taste and libel, among other things."

Other things...like whether the Christian tenants do or do not owe six months back rent.

UPDATE: My own embarrassing error corrected below by Mimi. One single Mimi, not hordes, or horrors, hoards.

Posted by aalkon at October 3, 2006 9:52 AM

Comments

Ummm, Amy? Wouldn't that be "hordes" of seasoned editors?

Posted by: Mimi at October 3, 2006 12:57 AM

Touché. None here but you at the moment!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 3, 2006 4:01 AM

Thank you. this made me laugh on a mostly bad news day. Too true. All of it.

Posted by: moe99 at October 3, 2006 1:55 PM

I saw a story on CNN.com with an even more embarassing error, also concerning the tenants/tenets/tenance of the Conservative Right.

Here are the relevant parts of the story:

"I certainly hope that Hillary (Clinton) is the (2008 presidential) candidate," Falwell said at a breakfast session Friday in Washington. "I hope she's the candidate, because nothing will energize my (constituency) like Hillary Clinton," he said. "If Lucifer ran, he wouldn't."

Falwell told the AP that he did not intend to demonize the former first lady.

I don't know who to be disgusted at: Falwell, or whatever bozo wrote this story without realizing what "demonize" means.

Posted by: Gary S. at October 3, 2006 2:54 PM

> wrote this story without realizing
> what "demonize" means.

Aw c'mon! What is the absolute worst possible scenario you can imagine here? How deeply can you imagine Hillary to have been hurt? How thin is her skin? How thin is yours?

Posted by: Crid at October 3, 2006 10:50 PM

Uh, Crid? The point went thataway...

Posted by: Gary S. at October 4, 2006 1:08 PM