Welcome To The American Dream

electionnightschwarz.jpg

Last night, I did on-camera interviews for Pajamas Media (none are up yet -- they're probably still being edited) from the Schwarzenegger election night headquarters at the Beverly Hilton. In Maria Shriver's speech, she mentioned something I've thought all along, that Arnold is the living incarnation of "The American Dream." Austrian boy comes to America, becomes a famous bodybuilder, becomes a big movie star, then governor of California.

My syndicator, Rick Newcombe, of Creators, told me a story about Arnold a while back. He met Arnold when he was a newspaper reporter, and, at the time, Arnold was a bodybuilder who barely spoke English, but told him, "I'm going to be the biggest movie star in the world."

"How do you know that?" Newcombe asked him.

Arnold told him, in his heavily accented English, "I zee it through my third eye."

Amazing climb. And, as they pointed out in the video, Californians elected him on faith, but he's learned in office, and has made good. Of course, I lost two lefty friends for voting for him. Oh well, I had too many "friends," anyway!

Here's Arnold with Eunice Shriver.

schwarshriver.jpg

Here's Arnold's wife, Maria Shriver, who introduced him and gave a speech about him.

MariaShriver.jpg

Posted by aalkon at November 8, 2006 11:02 AM

Comments

You lost two lefty friends for voting for Arnold (a moderate, socially liberal Republican) over Angelides (a Democratic wuss in the Gray Davis mold)? How pathetic.

Posted by: justin case at November 8, 2006 9:39 AM

No, shoulda made that clear. It was the first time around, the election with Shapeless Gray Davis and Cruz Bustacaponhisworthlessass-monte.

Arnold was an unknown quantity, but I liked that he hadn't been in politics, and thus hadn't been on the take from special interest groups for bajillions of years. It's my belief that a lot of relatively smart, reasonable people could do a good job in political office -- if all they had to do was make decisions based on what's best for their constituents and the country -- and not for the special interest groups that have them on a leash.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 8, 2006 10:15 AM

My comment still applies - pathetic. Instead of a wuss in the Gray Davis mold, this was a wuss, Gray Davis, and that moron Cruz Bustamonte. Arnold has more or less governed the way the ran the in the recall election, as a centrist. I could see them getting worked up if you were a big fan of McClintock (though I would still think they're pathetic; Tom's a conservative, not evil), but Arnold? Then again, I bet they were the sorts of people who made a fuss about moving to Vancouver after the last presidential election.

Posted by: justin case at November 8, 2006 11:27 AM

I'm still upset about my state overwhelmingly voting discrimination against gays into the state constitution. Lovely. What's next, "Straights Only" drinking fountains?

(And where the hell am *I* supposed to drink???)

Posted by: Melissa at November 8, 2006 11:53 AM

What state do you live in?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 8, 2006 12:10 PM

Tennessee.

Posted by: Melissa at November 8, 2006 1:24 PM

Posted by: Crid at November 8, 2006 4:15 PM

Good ole, Dad, had me lifting weights way back in the 70's when I was a teen, before it was cool and before I managed to a rack. Of course back then I read every MuscleMag article about Arnold. My plan to marry him of course did not work out. However, I do think he a rare example of a person making the most of themselves, with a humble start. Sheer will, faith in ourselves and still maintaining a humane and good humored nature, THAT is something to aspire to.

Posted by: Sonja at November 8, 2006 6:11 PM

I have been living in Austria for over a year now, and I was suprised to find out that most Austrians hate Arnie with a passion. The reason for this is that everyone, including the most extreme right-wingers, is vehemently opposed to the death penalty, which Arnold supports. A pundit recently quoted in a mainstream newspaper (Der Standard, Die Presse, Der Kurrier... I forget which one) summed it sardonically: "Arnold has come out in support of the environment - at least we can be assured that the electric chair will now be run exclusively by solar power."

Posted by: Arthur Cornwell at November 9, 2006 4:01 AM

Whoops - sorry for the multiple posts.My browser was acting up.

Posted by: Arthur Cornwell at November 9, 2006 4:02 AM

Whoops - sorry for the multiple posts. My browser was acting up and I kept getting an "Internal Server Error".

Posted by: Arthur Cornwell at November 9, 2006 4:03 AM

Arthur - I get the "Internal Server Error" often when posting (perhaps it's a firefox thing). Regardless of the error, the posts seem to always go through. I think you can safely ignore it (although clicking back and copying your text is a good move while you check to see if the post worked).

Posted by: justin case at November 9, 2006 10:12 AM

"Mel, if you don't live in Moore county, all is not lost. You can drink JD. Yagotta do whachagotta do."

I want the JD, but I can't handle the JD. I'm on a medication that makes me loopy if I drink 3 sips of hard liquor. (I haver, however, toured the JD distillery, which was much fun.) I'm afraid coffee and Red Bull are my poisons of choice.

(Grouper is my poisson of choice.)

Posted by: Melissa at November 11, 2006 10:29 AM