Women As Uncovered Meat
Australia's top Muslim cleric let the primitivism spew -- saying women are only safe from rape if they stay home with headscarves. Accordingly, no man is likely be hit by a car, assclown, if he stays home in the bathtub...although he might drown of boredom, and find it rather hard to support himself.

Here are the creep's remarks:

"If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside... and the cats come and eat it... whose fault is it, the cats' or the uncovered meat?" Sheikh Hilali was quoted as asking during the sermon.

"If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab [headscarf], no problem would have occurred," he added.

...He said his suggestion that women who did not wear a headscarf attracted sexual assault had been taken out of context and "misinterpreted".

But he conceded the analogy had been "inappropriate and unacceptable for the Australian society and the western society in general".

While Sydney's mosque association had suspended him for three months following the publication of his comments, Sheikh Hilali indicated at the end of last week he would not resign.

Actually, the problem isn't hearing remarks like these, it's not hearing them. We need to know -- and speak out against -- these walking, preaching tumors of Western society. And pressure them, if they don't like our free societies, where women are allowed the same daily freedoms as men, to leave.

Thanks, Norm, for the link.

Posted by aalkon at November 1, 2006 10:04 AM

Comments

> these walking, preaching tumors
> of Western society

'Tumor' makes it sound native. Perhaps a medical professional could offer the name of an infecting agent, something from a more primitive biological form.

It's interesting how all of the sudden the next century is going to be like the 70's, or the 60's or the 50's, where huge numbers of men are compelled to realize just what women are capable of when given both opportunity and expectation.... And those same men will benefit as women's productivity comes online across the globe. Here in the states, we've spent the last 20 years telling women that Robert Young sitcoms never had anything to do with real world. It's ironic, and I don't mean that in the childish Canadian rockstar sense.

Posted by: Crid at October 31, 2006 11:54 PM

I dunno, deadly germs? Herpes sores? Carbuncles? Oozing boils? Lena is asleep now, but I suppose I'll be criticized on Sontag-ian grounds as well!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 1, 2006 12:25 AM

I find "pustulent boil" to be quite evocative and certainly appropriate in this case.

Posted by: deja pseu at November 1, 2006 7:20 AM

i am starting to love "assclown". "bugfuck" is great, too.

Posted by: kittie at November 1, 2006 7:23 AM

parasites, like the GOP and white rappers.

Posted by: kittie at November 1, 2006 7:27 AM

No, you're probably right. Tumors are lumpy, unnattractive, sometimes deadly, drawing their growth from the organism they kill.

It's hard to understand why more isn't made of this, when the average TV watching, diet-coke drinking feminist is so eager to complain about how Carly Fiorina or Martha Stewart got a raw deal. You want to slam-dunk a sexist asshole? Hilali is the go-to guy!

Posted by: Crid at November 1, 2006 7:30 AM

Because, Crid, we have to respect their cultural differences.

Posted by: Jim Treacher at November 1, 2006 8:18 AM

Crid, before you criticize feminists for not speaking out about this, you might first want to visit a few feminist websites. I read about this story on several last week.

Posted by: deja pseu at November 1, 2006 8:59 AM

Crid,
It's hard not to think of you typing automatically with your toes whenever you enquire "and Who Hears the Feminist Voice On This Crucial Subject, Huh?"!

As deja said, some of the diet-cokers DID lower their straws long enough to note the topic recently.

Posted by: Jody Tresidder at November 1, 2006 9:06 AM

Feminism is too busy attacking women for pandering to the male gaze by losing weight. This chick worked for me for 20 minutes once -- took a job as my assistant, then quit after two days, then subsequently and ungraciously posted something snipey about me (not my fault she'd been unwise about taking a job that didn't suit her -- a job which I fully explained) -- and now, I find a piece by her on Alternet realizing:

My efforts to drop pounds made me feel like I was dropping the ball on women's rights as well. Then the epiphany: What's wrong with wanting to be healthy and look hot?

Honey, if you'd worked for me, and learned from what I write every week, I could've saved you years of unnecessary hagginess in the name of feminism.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at November 1, 2006 9:39 AM

Tumor, schmumor. They're like HIV.

The cleric's comment seems like a dusty variant of the victim-blaming "women get raped because they wear halter tops" -- ie, something that we often hear from people born and raised in all sorts of cultures, religious and non-religious. Yes?

Posted by: Lena at November 1, 2006 10:12 AM

If the victim of a crime is always to blame, then a man who leaves his house with a wallet that has cash in it, is obviously asking to be mugged, a pre-adolescent boy who has any contact with a priest is obviously asking to be molested, and any person that buys shares of any publicly traded corporation is obviously asking to be 'Enron-ed'.

The only way to teach Hilali a lesson in logic is to perhaps mug him? (not that I am advocating crime!)

Posted by: Chris at November 1, 2006 10:30 AM

> you might first want to visit
> a few feminist websites

Oh Lordy, I loves them fem'nists! Let's play a game! Read the passage and tell, who's speaking of who?:

"She was almost the first woman ever to attend Harvard Law School. She was at Harvard graduate school at the time. Harvard Law School didn't admit women, but her professors thought she was so brilliant, they were going to make an exception for her. She transformed the Republican Party from a party of -- well, northeastern snobs, the Rockefeller Republicans, into a conservative Republican Party by writing "A Choice, Not an Echo." The average non-fiction book sells about 5,000 copies. Her book, "A Choice, Not an Echo," sold three million copies! That is mind-boggling! She got Goldwater nominated and led to the movement that -- that created a Ronald Reagan presidency. She's written 10 books, most of them on military policy, serious, substantial books."

That's right! It's Ann Coulter talking about Phyllis Schlafley!

IJS, feminism's a big tent, they'll let anybody in, and our ideas about authenticity are no less idiosyncratic or meaningful than anyone else's. But if you want to recommend a site, by all means post a link.

> some of the diet-cokers
> DID lower their straws

Good! That's great! We'll be awaiting their reflective rhetoric in the years to come, and look forward to their calibrated, proportioned appraisals of the threats to civilization posed by various agents.... Super!

We may not actually be holding our breath...

Posted by: Crid at November 1, 2006 10:51 AM

As a side note, I dont have any problems with feminism. Feminism is very much needed in the world, even in todays more enlightened cultures.A Woman should get as much as a man for doing the same job. Personally, I think the role of house-wife should be given more credit than its due, instead of being scorned upon by the "liberal femists" or whatever group they call themselves. My mom raised two pretty good kids who had enjoyable childhoods, and it took ALOT of effort- and thats a job well done that has no wage value to it, its beyond price.

What I don't like are man-haters masked as feminists, who somehow believe that all their problems are somehow directly stemming from the opposite sex. Most of the weird female do's and don'ts in the world are enforced by females themselves and it has nothing to do with guys. There are more important things in the world than trying to justify your fat problem.

I don't even see what feminism has to do with the subject. This weirdo is implying a philosophy that effects more than just a certain gender; it s very threatening idea to the human race as a whole. Everybody should speak up about it, because his kind is the type you need to worry about- those who would justify their acts morally with inane logic.

Posted by: Scott Newberry at November 1, 2006 3:50 PM

I'm not so sure I know what "feminism" means anymore, but I do admire the work of some scholars and artists who consider themselves feminists. At the same time, I own DVDs with titles such as "Little White Slave Girls." I enjoy thinking/reading about gender and sexuality once in a while (I guess I'm just another latte-drinking liberal after all), and feminism has contributed a lot to our ideas about that stuff. Unfortunately, activists like Gloria Steinam have become the face (and butt and lovehandles) of Feminism.

Posted by: Lena, the Horny Hypocrit at November 1, 2006 5:41 PM

I think what continues to amuse/horrify me about the whole concept some Muslims seem to have about the female body being so attractive that it must, must, must be covered in order to avoid it being defiled by men who can't control themselves is that -- well, if they really believed it, Muslim societies would be completely the other way around.

I mean, if Muslim men are so unable to control their bodily functions, and their brains are turned off at the sight of female hair or skin, then I think we should make sure *they* never leave the house. *They* should not be trusted with things like politics, or land ownership, or paid occupation. Because who knows -- they could go completely bonkers at any moment! Don't put them near the button!

Women allegedly go bananas and can't be president because they get PMS once a month for a week, but this perception extremist Islamists have of their own men is far, far worse. They should be chained down, for their own good. The women should be out there running things; they're only incapable one week out of a month. Allegedly.

But of course, the extremists don't believe it, not really. Just like anti-choicers don't name their children at conception, or consider them 9 months old at birth. They say these things, and they believe they believe them, but their actions prove they lie.

Posted by: Kitt at November 1, 2006 7:00 PM

Tis the season, jihadi-nots...

That Holiday-for-Dirty-Unbelieving-Dogs & Pigs is almost here.

Tell her she looks yummy this xmas.

Posted by: neo at November 1, 2006 7:34 PM

Kitt, brilliant assessment! I would add that these men who cannot control their bodily functions would also not be toilet trained, so I'm assuming they all wear diapers (Depends?) as well.

Posted by: Chris at November 3, 2006 6:38 AM