Raised On Lies And Hate
Ever wonder why so many Muslims hate Jews so virulently? The state of Israel has only been around since 1948. It turns out many Muslim children are taught the most vile things about Jews. Ayaan Hirsi Ali writes in the LA Times of the civics course she, as an immigrant (from Somalia), had to take in 1994 to attend a university in Holland. She learned about the horror of the Holocaust, but when she told her half-sister about it...

What she said was as awful as the information in my book.

With great conviction, my half-sister cried: "It's a lie! Jews have a way of blinding people. They were not killed, gassed or massacred. But I pray to Allah that one day all the Jews in the world will be destroyed."

She was not saying anything new. As a child growing up in Saudi Arabia, I remember my teachers, my mom and our neighbors telling us practically on a daily basis that Jews are evil, the sworn enemies of Muslims, and that their only goal was to destroy Islam. We were never informed about the Holocaust.

Later, as a teenager in Kenya, when Saudi and other Persian Gulf philanthropy reached us, I remember that the building of mosques and donations to hospitals and the poor went hand in hand with the cursing of Jews. Jews were said to be responsible for the deaths of babies and for epidemics such as AIDS, and they were believed to be the cause of wars. They were greedy and would do absolutely anything to kill us Muslims. If we ever wanted to know peace and stability, and if we didn't want to be wiped out, we would have to destroy the Jews. For those of us who were not in a position to take up arms against them, it was enough for us to cup our hands, raise our eyes heavenward and pray to Allah to destroy them.

Western leaders today who say they are shocked by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's conference this week denying the Holocaust need to wake up to that reality. For the majority of Muslims in the world, the Holocaust is not a major historical event that they deny. We simply do not know it ever happened because we were never informed of it.

The total number of Jews in the world today is estimated to be about 15 million, certainly no more than 20 million. On the other hand, the world's Muslim population is estimated to be between 1.2 billion and 1.5 billion. And not only is this population rapidly growing, it is also very young.

What's striking about Ahmadinejad's conference is the (silent) acquiescence of mainstream Muslims. I cannot help but wonder: Why is there no counter-conference in Riyadh, Cairo, Lahore, Khartoum or Jakarta condemning Ahmadinejad? Why are the 57 members of the Organization of the Islamic Conference silent on this?

Why, indeed? She tries to answer her own question:

Could the answer be as simple as it is horrifying: For generations, the leaders of these so-called Muslim countries have been spoon-feeding their populations a constant diet of propaganda similar to the one that generations of Germans (and other Europeans) were fed — that Jews are vermin and should be dealt with as such? In Europe, the logical conclusion was the Holocaust. If Ahmadinejad has his way, he shall not want for compliant Muslims ready to act on his wish.

Oh, and if you're not Jewish, don't get too complacent. If you're not Muslim, you're still an "infidel." In other words, after they kill all the Jews, you're next. Happy beheadings!

Posted by aalkon at December 17, 2006 11:41 AM

Comments

More greetings from fabulous San Juan, where the girls are still raised to dress like hookers! Everyone looks SUPA-fine!

Posted by: Lena at December 17, 2006 7:10 AM

Come home safely, Lena. And good luck getting a rent boy through the TSA!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 17, 2006 7:34 AM

Reminds me of a news broadcast I once saw. A three-year old Muslim girl (looking adorable in her cute little chador) was being interviewed.

She was asked if she like Jews, and she said "no" (through a translator).

"Why?" she was asked.

"Because," she replied.

"Why?" the interviewer persisted.

"Because they are apes and pigs."

Such a shame that hate is being taught to such young minds.

Posted by: Patrick at December 17, 2006 4:53 PM

I found the video on youtube.com. I got some of it a little off, but the "apes and pigs" comment was right.

Posted by: Patrick at December 17, 2006 4:58 PM

Thanks for posting the link. That's some really sick shit. Evil.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 17, 2006 7:55 PM

A girl I know said something the other day to this same effect while making lunch in the office kitchen, "I really hope this isn't kosher, my boyfriend hates jewish stuff - and I can't blame him. You do know the holocaust isn't true right? It's scientifically impossible to have burned all those bodies like they said they did. Where are the bodies if that's what really happened, ya know?" (the girl's an empty vessel if there ever was one when it comes to guys). Come to find out, she's from a German family and had hooked up with this guy on a website for German ancestory. What's sad is how quickly she went from inviting everyone to her church to snubbing people in the hallways because they're jewish all because some skinhead managed to be the only guy to call her back when he said he would. And I've pointed out that her whole faith is based on the teachings of a jew and she just looked at me like I was the gullible one. I live in the south so it's not the first time the clan's showed it's face this close to home, but still, it's a little alarming when a seemingly very intelligent middle aged person in corporate america suddenly goes nazi over a guy.

Posted by: Abby at December 18, 2006 8:44 AM

So for a girl to doubt certain particulars of a highly politicized and controversial historical period makes her a National Socialist? We once were told that Germans made soap and lampshades out of us. Do you still stand by that long since discredited part of the official holocaust story?

Posted by: Moshe Lipshitz at December 29, 2006 10:38 PM

Does who believe that? Do I? No, I don't. See below.

But, there's plenty of proven atrocity to go around without those stories.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at December 30, 2006 1:32 AM