What Are You Reading Now?
Me? A Year Of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion, one of the most readable and compelling writers out there, about the death of her husband and the aftermath. Fantastic book.

Posted by aalkon at December 28, 2006 7:14 AM

Comments

Devil's Guide to Hollywood by that old rogue Joe Eszterhas. It's such a totally disjointed collection of anecdotes, musings, boasts, digs at his (many) enemies, and old Hollywood squibs, that you can pick it up, read a few pages, laugh, squirm, put it down again any time. Ideal for a busy writer.

Posted by: Stu "El Inglés" Harris at December 28, 2006 8:01 AM

"Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performance and Results from Knowledge Workers" by Thomas Davenpport.

Posted by: Lena at December 28, 2006 8:53 AM

"Cell" by Stephen King

Posted by: Roger at December 28, 2006 11:39 AM

I just ordered:

Following Foo: (the electronic adventures of The Chestnut Man) by Wong, B.D.

Lighting Up: How I Stopped Smoking, Drinking, and Everything Else I Loved in Life Except Sex by Susan Shapiro (reccomended here by Amy)

Posted by: eric at December 28, 2006 3:11 PM

That's an understatement, Amy, that's at the very least an incredible book. Many chapters left me in silence for days mulling them over. One of my favorite writers and definitely one of my favorite books. I can only read it every once in a while because it puts me in such a meditative mood. In fact, I'm not reading anything at the moment because I just finished her Slouching Towards Bethlehem the other day. Again.

Posted by: Abby at December 29, 2006 12:05 PM

Frog stuff!

"French Kiss with Death: Steve McQueen and the Making of Le Mans"

'The man -- the race -- the cars -- the movie'

Posted by: Crid at December 29, 2006 5:53 PM

*Another Bullshit Night in Suck City* by Nick Flynn. I just finished it the other day.

This memoir is about a young man in Boston who works in a homeless shelter. It's there that he gets acquainted with his homeless father who had left the family when Nick was a baby.

I was struck by how simple the language was and by the lack of intensity in the telling of an intense story. Haven't decided if I like that or dislike it.

Posted by: Jaylyn at December 30, 2006 12:32 PM