Guess Who's Running For President
Now, why would Newt Gingrich suddenly spill the info that he had an affair while he was chasing after Clinton for his thingie with Monica? And note who he spills the info to -- James Dobson of Focus on the Family. Very friendly environment to spill such info in. Here's what Ben Evans writes for the AP:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is yes,'' Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards.''

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

No, he should be viewed as somebody who was out for blood.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge,'' the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials.''

Yeah, right. Very clever of them to portray it that way -- as if that was really the issue, not just the issue they were able to catch him on.

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Well, I'm betting you can count on him forming one.

Posted by aalkon at March 9, 2007 9:38 AM

Comments

Bassackwards as usual, actually Newt was conspicuously abscent in the pursuit of William Jefferson Blythe (I prefer his real name), and the charge was perjury, not ejaculating in an ugly fat girl.

Posted by: Casca at March 9, 2007 8:09 AM

Wrong, Casca!

1. She was a cute fat girl! I seen her with my own eyes. Americans have problems with the concept.

2. He squirted in the sink, a special moment for proud public servant.

3. No one has ever explained footnote #28. (see link in following comment)

Posted by: Crid at March 9, 2007 8:31 AM

The Glory of the Clinton Years!

Posted by: Crid at March 9, 2007 8:32 AM

I recall that the impeachment debate in the House occurred during the time that Newt's power was waning, around the time that he lost his position as speaker. I don't recall him taking the role that people like Hyde and Barr did, certainly. I'm with Casca on this one. I also find Newt, even though I disagree with him on a vast array of things, to be one of the most interesting and intelligent speakers among today's political class.

I do have a question for Casca, though. How do you feel about the Scooter Libby situation? Was his perjury and obstruction prosecution and conviction warranted?

Posted by: justin case at March 9, 2007 8:35 AM

Re: footnote #28, very interesting...once again, there's the doofy idea that it isn't sex if it isn't peni-vagina.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at March 9, 2007 8:48 AM

"Ms Lewinsky testified she had an orgasm."

Bill is the man!

Posted by: eric at March 9, 2007 10:09 AM

Setting the standard a little low there, aren'tcha? The memory fades, but at the time there was word that Bill did not reciprocate orally. This recalled the story told about his idol JFK by actress Angie Dickinson, who said her sexual encounter with our 35th President was the most exciting sixty seconds of her life.

Posted by: Crid at March 9, 2007 10:17 AM

Setting the standard low? That's what they said about Jackson Pollock. I mean, how many guys can point to a woman and say "I made her come. She testified under oath."

There should be a question mark in there somewhere...

Posted by: eric at March 9, 2007 10:46 AM

Underoath is overkill. The best testimony she can give is a well-timed yawn in front of your friends at brunch the next day.

Posted by: Crid at March 9, 2007 11:10 AM

I'm partial to their inability to converse an hour after they've been fucked silly.

Scooter Libby? Why do you think lawyers tell you to, "keep your mouth shut until I get there." Answer the same questions ten times over a period of time, and there are bound to be inconsistencies. Clearly the failure to move for a change of venue was a major mistake. That fucker from the Post on the jury is the criminal in this drama... him and Fitzgerald.

Posted by: Casca at March 9, 2007 4:14 PM

Wow, Casca. Fitzgerald a criminal. I understand that he had a pretty excellent rep going into this whole thing. Do you think he just lost it?

About Libby's testimony: The man's a lawyer himself - you figure he would know what to do under questioning. Perhaps there's an applicable Abe Lincoln quote here about lawyering for oneself.

Posted by: justin case at March 9, 2007 4:48 PM