Linked Out
I hate these networking services...Linked In, Facebook, etc. If I like you, I'll have a drink with you. If we're actual friends and you need me to help you with something, you'll call me or e-mail me and I'll get on it.

I keep having a problem with invites on Linked In because people are sending them to three different e-mail addresses, and I can only get their fucking software to "accept" one (and then there are all the people I wonder if I actually know, but can't quite remember if I do, who invite me to join their networks).

Frankly, I'd rather be part of nobody's "network" but the one I already have in real life. I mean...how loserish to write somebody on Facebook and ask them for a deal. Is that how people like to believe it will work? Does anyone really think that's going to happen? If I could just click one of these "invitations" to join somebody's network, be reasonably sure it will work, and be done with it, fine. Instead, it's a big time-waste, and I only click on these links because I don't want friends or acquaintances to think I'm snubbing their asses!

Posted by aalkon at July 30, 2007 1:20 PM

Comments

The only thing I use Myspace for is keeping tabs on my cousin. Who is the reincarnation of Betty Page. She really is. Loki told her so. She's serious.

And yes, she can't figure out why her business networking with Myspace doesn't work. Don't they see she's spiritual? (She's 30. She should really know better)

Posted by: Elle at July 30, 2007 10:36 AM

First, I sympathize with your loathing of social networks (HATE MySpace!), and think that most are just a complete waste of time. However, living in the tech-obsessed Bay Area and working the tech industry, LinkedIn is useful. I know several people who have been recruited for jobs via second- or third-degree LinkesIn connections; employers also review recommendations and other info on there. I can't say whether this utility has expanded much to other fields, but I imagine it will get there. So much in the working world is not about what you know, but about who you know; LinkedIn helps to leverage the latter.

Posted by: justin case at July 30, 2007 11:44 AM

Pretty sure Betty Page is still alive.

Posted by: snakeman99 at July 30, 2007 11:50 AM

Posted by: Flynne at July 30, 2007 12:50 PM

I know that. COUSIN knows that, somebody needs to explain it to the Norse Pantheon apparently.

She explained it to me once but I wasn't really paying attention. She started dragging in Akashic fields, mandalas, and string theory. It is apparently possible to have the soul of someone who hasn't died yet (creeeeeepy). Cousin is the kind of girl who believes that the Mayans were space-faring and Stonehenge is an interstellar conspiracy.

My cousin is a nut. Her site also includes instructions for 'releasing the goddess within' (discover YOUR inner deity through masturbation!). Our family might have been willing to overlook the *ahem* photospread if she hadn't sent the link to grandma.

Posted by: Elle at July 30, 2007 4:06 PM

Ok, I talked to my cousin and asked her to explain it to me again. Apparently Loki only meant that she was going to be the next Bettie Page.

I guess I should apologize for making my cousin sound nuts. (I'll admit it. We all sort of stopped talking when she sent the 'releaseing your inner goddess' info. We can't really look her in the eye at the moment)

Posted by: Elle at July 31, 2007 7:50 AM

I registered at Facebook due to peer pressure. I don't find it very useful. I like Meetup.com because at least the people on there DO something (like meet up!)

Posted by: Chrissy at August 1, 2007 6:56 PM