We Get Hate Mail
And it often makes us laugh. Yesterday's selection is from yet another guy who accuses me of being a man-hater, but can't quite bring himself to use the word:

GUY: I can tell you with absolute certainty, that you are the type of screwed up B---H that this guy was describing.

ME: You can spell out the word, I promise your keyboard won't catch fire.

Later in the e-mail, I escalated my word usage to full fur-burger:

If anybody dislikes me, it's the feminists -- like the ones I took apart in all the articles I've written for Hustler (which must be hiring me because I hit a nerve with male readers since I don't believe a lot of women buy it for the spread-eagled pussy shots).

I'm guessing paramedics were called. Have yet to hear back from the poor dear.

Posted by aalkon at July 22, 2007 8:28 AM

Comments

Who is "this guy"? Someone you gave advice to in your column?

I don't get hate mail myself. Just Crid's posts. Those will have to satisfy, unless I want to make my own advice column.

Posted by: Patrick at July 22, 2007 9:49 AM

He's a reader. Will post the column that he's complaining about when it comes up in the rotation.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2007 10:47 AM

I don't see how anybody who's read very many of your columns or blog posts could think you are a man hater.

Posted by: William at July 22, 2007 12:42 PM

Thanks - I pointed that out to the guy and gave him a few links. I suspect he's one of those who generally assumes having a vagina equals misandrist.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2007 2:24 PM

Or a woman who's outspoken, or even asserts herself...

Posted by: Patrick at July 22, 2007 3:27 PM

Or a woman who will generally serve his needs and become a second mommy.

Posted by: Joe at July 22, 2007 5:53 PM

Hilariously, I got two e-mails tonight from men who accuse me of being a man-hating bitch, and a woman who accuses me of hating women. Where does that leave me...pro hermaphrodite?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 22, 2007 8:34 PM

A pro-hermaphrodite who hates God, babies and kittens. Clearly you're the reason that society is going to hell. But you're funny, so we stay.

Seriously, anti-man? You? Why don't they accuse you of being secretly fundamentalist? That would at least be amusing. Have to say, though, that any guy who breaks out the "bitch" word just to gain an edge in an argument with a stranger he's never met in person has some serious misogyny issues of his own...

Posted by: marion at July 22, 2007 8:40 PM

Misandrist- I love when someone uses a word I don't know. I opened up the dictionary eight pages away, to a photo of Thelonius Monk, and found it between "Moloch" and the "Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory"...

Posted by: eric at July 22, 2007 10:33 PM

PS- had a discussion with a woman recently who described Elvis as misogynistic for the song "Hound Dog"... I had never equated "Hound Dog" with "Bitch", but it makes sense...

Posted by: eric at July 22, 2007 10:38 PM

People looking to feel persecuted will find persecution in the ingredients list on the back of a can of Alpo.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at July 23, 2007 11:00 AM

Yeah, except "Hound Dog" was written by a woman.

Posted by: kg at July 23, 2007 2:02 PM

Wooohoo! kg comes through with the trivia!

(Gregg: Pls verify)

Posted by: Crid at July 23, 2007 9:15 PM

Well, technically "Hound Dog" was written by two men (Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller), but they wrote it for Big Mama Thornton to record back in the early 1950's. Her original version is more bluesy than rock 'n roll, and she does some nice howlin' too. Fun stuff.

Posted by: Ms. Gandhi at July 24, 2007 12:08 PM

My bad!

Posted by: kg at July 26, 2007 6:28 PM

Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory...the MMPI....I took 2 of those. Its a series of questions designed to determine your personality type and detect if you are a wacko. I passed them both, but then again....if you are smart enough to know how to answer them....muahahahahahaha

Posted by: Cathleen at July 27, 2007 10:49 AM