Fall Fashion With Gregg
My Detroit-ornery boyfriend sometimes attempts to meet me somewhere in shoeland -- and fails miserably. (I think I'd be scared if he didn't). Here's Tuesday's conversation:

Gregg: You know those Tommy Mongoloid shoes they wear on that show?
Amy: Tommy Mongoloids?
Gregg: You know…uh, Sex And The City
Amy: You mean Manolo Blahniks?
Gregg: Yeah, whatever.

Of course, he could probably tell you what shoes Himmler was wearing at any given moment. I told him this in the car.

Gregg: Shoes? Himmler didn't wear shoes.
Amy: He didn't wear shoes?
Gregg: He wore pumps. Red satin pumps with a big Nazi logo.
Amy: He did not!
Gregg keeps driving.
Amy: Himmler was a cross-dresser?!
Gregg: He wore boots! Himmler wore boots!

Posted by aalkon at September 26, 2007 10:23 AM

Comments

Speaking of Himmler, shoes, and funny walks, I found "The Germans" on YouTube this afternoon. "The Germans" is the episode of Fawlty Towers that everyone remembers for John Cleese's impression of Hitler and his funny walks. Goering gets a mention -- I think Himmler does too. (Hope you don't mind my otherwise offtopic post.)

In the meantime, if someone would explain to me why some women think shoes with an incredibly long and pointed toe looks good, I would be interested in finding out.

Like this one....

That's extreme, but even less so than that is pretty weird looking....

Posted by: jerry at September 25, 2007 10:48 PM

Gregg may be right. There's a blogger called Manolo, too. Manolo, he loves the shoes, and once linked this photograph. http://urltea.com/1l65

Take a moment to admire the distinctive monogram on the socks... Your tax dollars at work.

We remember that in Michael Jordan's last seasons, he got into the habit of putting on perfectly tailored businesswear every time he left the hotel room when he was on the road. And someone asked him why, since all he was doing was getting on the team bus to ride to the arena, where he'd immediately get into uniform. And he said it was because he knew he had fans all over the country who were trying to get one last glimpse of an athlete who meant a lot to them, and he didn't want to disappoint them.

On the other hand, we have our wartime President, who (presumably while on vacation in Texas) dresses like a self-important buffoon in sub-casual sportswear.

But not only that. He doesn't merely dress like a self-important buffoon in sub-casual sportswear.

He dresses that way and waves to people, as if welcoming attention.

Posted by: Crid at September 25, 2007 11:56 PM

Hmm, too late at night for me.

Here is the url of the Fawlty Tower's clip. (Don't mention the war!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3SBYkcJigU

Posted by: jerry at September 26, 2007 12:39 AM

Great post, Crid. I'm in the Charlotte airport now, on my way to Savannah for a newspaper conference, and it never ceases to amaze me how people dress for the plane. What is it about people that, forget the clothes for a minute, they aren't capable of wearing actual shoes? There were about 20 people in the plane in flip-flops, including a pretty black businesswoman in a nice suit. She looked like an ass from the knees down.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 26, 2007 3:40 AM

Amy, I think people don't wear real shoes for the plane anymore if they can help it because they know that they'll have to take them off when going through security and throw them into a plastic bin with lots of other stuff. I can't wear flip-flops (can't stand to have anything between my toes), and I don't think I own any ugly shoes, but I'm not going to wear my nicest shoes when traveling lest I slow up the security line/have them get damaged by some TSA rep convinced that I'm an Al-Qaeda mole. I'm guessing that the businesswoman has her real shoes in her bag and will change en route.

So, in short, it all comes back to Richard Reid. And the terrorists in general. Again. Ugh.

On another note, you and Gregg are so perfect for each other (not that you didn't already know that). I'm going to be secretly giggling at "Red satin pumps with a big Nazi logo" all day.

Posted by: marion at September 26, 2007 6:48 AM

I can't get over the "mongoloid" shoes. I, personally, will be thinking about that all day and laughing!

Posted by: Jamie at September 26, 2007 7:58 AM

Aww, thanks. Gregg is, right now, spiriting Lucy back to his place. Unfortunately, she's figured out that he finds it impossible to say no to her, so she's always on her, well, worst behavior!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 26, 2007 8:16 AM

Gregg: He wore pumps. Red satin pumps with a big Nazi logo.

Thought that was J. Edgar Hoover? :-p

Posted by: deja pseu at September 26, 2007 11:24 AM

:::earworm alert:::

"...oh no, you can't do that..."

(this one's too easy!)

Posted by: Flynne at September 26, 2007 12:47 PM

Gregg reports that I misquoted him and he said "swastikas," not "Nazi logos." He is now home being abused by Lucy.

PS Marion, I just wear zippered boots through security. (No swastikas or "Nazi logos," either.)

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 26, 2007 1:16 PM

Hilarious. Thank you, Amy. You're the best, as always.

Posted by: Ally at September 26, 2007 6:50 PM

Amy, you're a stronger woman than I. I wear shoes that can be slipped off my feet in the twinkling of an eye. My current and long-time favorite, assuming I'm not traveling to frigid climes, can be seen by clicking on my name. Not elegant, but better than flip-flops (I think, anyway!).

Glad to hear that a nice Jewish girl from Detroit isn't wearing swastika-wear through airport security, though I'd love hearing you explain it to the TSA folk...

Posted by: marion at September 27, 2007 12:19 PM

Yeah, that would be something to explain!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 27, 2007 12:38 PM

Hey, no fair hiding the ear worm in a fashion thread.

Got those pretty little straps around your ankles
Got those shiny little chains around your heart.

An Eagles song and two tequilla shots is the only thing that will get me up for some really horrific Karoke.

Posted by: martin at September 28, 2007 9:45 AM