Not Exactly Dearfoams

LaureSokol.jpg

Slipper, window at Laure Sokol, Paris (a lingerie store that sucks up my limp dollars-into-euros with some regularity). Here's a link to the American slippers, Dearfoams, for anyone who doesn't know what they look like.

Here's the window of another lingerie store -- most adorably, getting into the Scottish spirit that's been taking over Paris.

Ecosselingerie.jpg

(The World Cup was in Paris this week, and so was half of Scotland, drinking, singing, cheering, and standing on grates and letting their kilts fly up à la Marilyn).

Gregg, who is about as enthusiastic about shopping as he is about having white-hot needles inserted into both eyes, was very encouraging when I wanted to go in this lingerie store, and even stuck around to photograph me shopping. For a moment or two, anyway.

magasindulingerie.jpg

About this photo, Gregg said, in inimitable Gregg style, "Those French broads, even from behind, they look great."

And here's a bit of Paris street fashion by Gregg, who says, "When Amy shops, Gregg's lens wanders. Left alone on the street to his own devices, he soon finds comfort in the legs of a French schoolgirl up to thar. Ooh la la."

littleskirtMarais.jpg

Posted by aalkon at September 14, 2007 2:49 PM

Comments

The child moves through the world on the balls of her feet.

Posted by: Crid at September 14, 2007 1:47 AM

...even from behind...
/quote

shouldn't that go without saying?

Posted by: jody at September 14, 2007 3:55 AM

The point is, there is a view. All sides are considered.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 14, 2007 4:16 AM

The child moves through the world on the balls of her feet.

Reminds me of a U2 song. The child looks exactly like my older daughter, from this side anyway.

Posted by: Flynne at September 14, 2007 5:13 AM

"The child moves through the world on the balls of her feet."

An observation many of us made when my submarine made port in Portsmouth, England was that English women walk like Charlie Chaplin - even in heels. Very strange to see. Quite unattractive.

Later in that cruise, there was considerable evidence that all beautiful women come from Norway, too. One of our officers, at the end of his current commission, moved there as soon as his paperwork cleared when we returned to port.

Posted by: Radwaste at September 14, 2007 7:22 AM

"An observation many of us made when my submarine made port in Portsmouth, England was that English women walk like Charlie Chaplin - even in heels."

Radwaste,

It's possibly misleading to assume all Englishwomen have the comically round-heeled gait you observed in Portsmouth. Portsmouth is famous for friendly women who welcome sailors, if you catch my drift.

Posted by: Jody Tresidder at September 14, 2007 7:57 AM

I wonder what tartan that is, and if anyone would challenge your ancestral right to wear it.

I can't quite be sure, but it looks like three pieces in that top outfit -- bra, panties, and waist-cincher/garter, and that the latter has buckles (!!!) on the garter straps. If they're shooting dirty movies in Glasgow, I hope someone has that in the production wardrobe.

Posted by: Nance at September 14, 2007 7:58 AM

I want those shoes sooooooo bad. They are just about the cutest and only 50E. I would so buy those if I could.

Posted by: Amy at September 14, 2007 8:02 AM

"I wonder what tartan that is..."

Pretty sure it's Royal Stewart, Nance.

Posted by: Jody Tresidder at September 14, 2007 8:10 AM

What is it about schoolgirl uniforms that cause me to look twice and why do they dress schoolgirls that way?

Posted by: martinique d'merde at September 14, 2007 8:26 AM

I think I’m developing a shoe fetish.

Posted by: Roger at September 14, 2007 8:42 AM

It's an expensive fetish, let me tell you.

And MdM, I believe these are questions to which you need no answers, much as it pleases you to be able to ask.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 14, 2007 10:09 AM

In regard to Amy's comment above, they are actually slippers, and oui, they are irresistible. Check out the Laure Sokol link above and see if they'll ship to the USA or if you can have a friend pick them up in Paris. P.S. They actually aren't $50, as, today when I woke up, the IHT had the euro to dollar exchange rate at $1.39. Still, at $70, I think they're doable. They're satin, though, so be careful you don't walk anywhere where there's a drop of water! I'd wear them with an evening dress skirt (and a jeans jacket) to the Rose Cafe.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 14, 2007 10:23 AM

Umm I think the World Cup of Rugby is 1.5 months long.

Posted by: Don at September 14, 2007 11:56 AM

> the cutest and only 50E.

Even after all these years, it's amazing to see see prices in Paris listed in something besides Francs.

Posted by: Crid at September 14, 2007 12:25 PM

oui oui, sorry sorry

Posted by: Crid at September 14, 2007 12:34 PM

World Cup WAS soccer this past week, and that's what I was talking about. Wee Scotland defeated France, and they were beyond excited about that. The example a Scottish guy gave to explain this was: "It would be like Puerto Rico defeating the U.S." They told us they don't care about rugby like they did about beating France at soccer.

And if this is Don "VisitParis.com," merci BEAUCOUP for the restaurant recommendations. Went to the first in your e-mail...INCROYABLE! (If petit!)

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 14, 2007 2:37 PM

For me, they can just post a big sign: "Ha ha, fuck you, you can't afford anything!"

Bought what would have been $125 of sunblock -- when the euro and dollar were sort of comparable. Worked out to $174! Luckily, I got it the day the euro was 1.38 instead of 1.39, and saved a few pennies.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 14, 2007 2:40 PM

No, not World Cup, but qualifying rounds for equally dull Euro 2008 competition.

We're blessedly free from the bloody World Cup for another couple of years.

Posted by: nessie at September 15, 2007 12:50 PM

Europe has the best lingerie and reasonably priced, I think, compared to North America. 10 euros and 19 euros for those 2 sexy numbers? Incroyable! Firstly, they would be hard to find and then they would be at least $100 for the 2.

I bought some incredibly beautiful stay up stockings in Rome for around 8 to 12 euros per pair, and they were things I've never seen sold anywhere here. Comparable and not even as nice were selling for $25 per pair. Needless to say, I bought around 15 pairs, and my boytoy is very happy, as I model a different pair every time I see him.

Posted by: Chrissy at September 15, 2007 3:35 PM

TO: Amy Alkon
RE: Everything....

..."....is food. Food. Food." -- Popeye

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[If I can catch it, I can [probably] eat it. -- some Ranger]

Posted by: Chuck Pelto at September 15, 2007 4:47 PM

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 15, 2007 5:25 PM

TO: Amy Alkon
RE: Who....

"Sadly, the lingerie I wear is not reasonably priced. For anyone with more than a handful, 19 or 20 eu lingerie is not an option." -- Amy Alkon

...needs 'lingerie'??!??!?!

I seem to recall some statement from some ingenue about sleeping with a 'friend' did not require any form of night-clothes.

Mayhap you, with your vastly more broad 'experience' could correct US?

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[Cherchez les femme!]

Posted by: Chuck Pelto at September 15, 2007 7:21 PM

P.S. Personally....

...after four scotches, three martinis, and a couple of brandies....leading up to and over a splendid supper.....

....I dont' care WHAT she's wearing.....{nudge-nudge, wink-wink...}

....and in a few moments, she won't care either.....

...bonsoir...mon [autre] cher.

[Note: So to say. Communication is so 'awkward' au Francaise. Don't you think?]

Posted by: Chuck Pelto at September 15, 2007 7:26 PM

I think what you're trying to describe what was an early game for "Euro 2008"

If you're hoping that a drunk Scotsman will give you facts, visit YouTube with these search terms: Robin Williams Golf (it's a riot)

Posted by: Don at September 16, 2007 8:17 AM

Uh, Chuck, by lingerie, I mean bras. The "secret" in Victoria's Secret, as far as I'm concerned, is that their bras don't do shit for your boobs. If you have natural breasts that are above a B. Those girlies with the rock hard fakies can wear VSwear and even jog in it at the gym without much of a bounce.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 16, 2007 11:05 PM