"They Are Many Funny Rules"
"Funny, how?" as Joe Pesci would ask? In Muslim cultures, there isn't a lot to laugh about -- especially not for women, who have the rights of dogs, and can be killed for having sex before or outside of marriage.

A regular Canadian reader of my blog has been corresponding with a 30-something woman in Iran and here's something she wrote him recently:

i don't got marriage yet , & i don't have any serious relation , i had a lot of men in my friend but not my boy friend. U know in Iran any relation without marriage is not allowed.specially sex. If a woman had it may be killing her, but for men not like woman , it has lower penalty.... about divorce, it is allowable for Muslim but they are many funny rules , men can able to divorce, Evey time without any reason, but women cant, if a women want divorce it is very difficult. If a women got marriage she cant go out of Iran without husband's permit. If a couple divorce, children are belong to their father. and etc.

Posted by aalkon at September 7, 2007 12:31 PM

Comments

From what I understand, in Iran you can get a marriage license that lasts for a couple of hours...so you can have a quickie and not violate said laws.

Posted by: doombuggy at September 7, 2007 4:58 AM

The Iranians will never dominate the great Satan with their education system. Her English is terrible. Makes our schools look good for a change.

Posted by: justin case at September 7, 2007 5:43 PM

"justin case": you're a moron.

Do you speak Persian or Kurdish? If not, shut your face because YOUR education is sadly lacking.

Posted by: iand at September 7, 2007 11:27 PM

Well, mmeeee--yowwww!

Posted by: Crid at September 8, 2007 1:14 AM

iand -

Hang your head in shame. There is no such language as Persian.

Iranians speak Farsi.

No go away little boy, you bother me.

Posted by: brian at September 8, 2007 4:24 AM

Speaking of funny rules, has anyone seen 'Jesus Camp'? I felt so sorry for those poor kids, I couldn't even finish the movie.

Posted by: Pirate Jo at September 8, 2007 7:33 AM

Brian. You need to get your info from more than the "interweb". Farsi is to Persian what Francais is to French. When speaking and writing in English, you don't refer to French as Francais and you don't refer to Persian as Farsi (which is but one of hundreds of Persian dialects).

Posted by: ian at September 8, 2007 10:26 AM

And, just taking a few seconds with Google and Wikipedia: if you insist on using the "Intertubes" as your primary source.. see here

Posted by: iand at September 8, 2007 10:33 AM

Amy,

I'm sad to see that these "sharp knives" completely missed the point. Okay kids, let's all say "trivial tangents" 10 times really fast.

Robert

Posted by: Robert W. at September 9, 2007 8:55 AM

Hooray! My troll bait landed one! I just knew that someone would be unable to resist.

Posted by: justin case at September 9, 2007 3:39 PM

Pirate Jo,
I saw Jesus Camp and was kind of impressed. I thought it wasn't a Michael Moore-style hit job on those people. I totally disagree with so much of their thinking, but the woman who was the lead pastor was clearly a good teacher and the kids were smart and articulate. Which may have made it all the more scary.

Posted by: justin case at September 9, 2007 7:46 PM