Fire, Fire Everywhere
It's very, very hot here, and very, very dry -- hotter and drier than I ever remember experiencing this place in late October.

firetruck.jpg

I'm on Broadway and 18th, in the city of Santa Monica -- no mountains or brush-covered hillsides here -- and I noticed smoke. I went outside and saw this truck on fire.

For those looking for information on the major fires, my friend André Tascha-Lammé, with the help of a few colleagues, put up a California Fires 2007 site, calfires.net.

Posted by aalkon at October 24, 2007 3:52 PM

Comments

Did Bush personally set the truck on fire or did he send Cheney?

Posted by: martin at October 24, 2007 2:13 PM

I believe Karl Rove was seen lurking around the old folks home at the corner.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 24, 2007 2:15 PM

Could you re-crop the photo with a little more on the right so I can get a better look at the Asian chick? Thanks.

Posted by: Todd Fletcher at October 24, 2007 3:22 PM

Heh heh...actually was thinking of Crid when I included her in the photo, but sorry, that's all there is!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 24, 2007 3:25 PM

When will people learn to choose sites for homes more sensibly? The mountains of Afghanistan are incredibly beautiful, with gorgeous views. Does this mean we should all run to construct condominiums there, even though right down the road is an Al Queda training camp?

Posted by: Lena at October 24, 2007 3:26 PM

Out-of-towners: Note freaky rust tinge to coastal autumn sky.

Also, Lena's right. This morning Bush woke up and decided to assist those afflicted by these entirely predictable events with federal assets: And tonight we hate him even more.

Posted by: Crid at October 24, 2007 10:50 PM

I thought I couldn't possibly hate him any more than I did because of the bullshit in the last election, but Crid's right. Damn. o_O

Posted by: Flynne at October 25, 2007 6:18 AM

Year after goddamn year, fires in the Malibu hills, followed by endless human interest stories on public radio about the heirlooms that people leave behind as they flee. That's entertainment? No, that's vomitous.

Meanwhile, Allstate won't even do business in California anymore. The entire fucking state's been redlined.

Posted by: Lena at October 25, 2007 11:52 AM

Just wait until next spring's rains when the mudslides take out more houses.

I can't say I feel too sorry for people who build a house at the edge of a forest then get burned out by a forest fire.

Posted by: JoJo at October 25, 2007 2:18 PM

Just looking at that sky makes me cough.

Posted by: beajerry at October 26, 2007 12:23 AM