Terrorism Meets German Engineering

Posted by aalkon at October 10, 2007 9:15 AM

Comments

HA! Hahahahahahaha! That was great, thanks so much for the laugh, I needed it! o_O

Posted by: Flynne at October 10, 2007 8:00 AM

Love it! I'm guessing it's not an American commercial. Hard to imagine the political correctness police letting it slip through.

Posted by: Kimberly at October 10, 2007 1:50 PM

I think it's probably one of those made by an aspiring director of commercials. They're usually so much better than the ones the ad agencies do.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 10, 2007 2:01 PM

amusing to see it again, but it's been our for a few years.

Posted by: jody at October 10, 2007 3:17 PM

I've seen it before, too, but a not-terribly-techie European friend sent it to me the other day, and I thought it would be a nice companion to the "Muslim ladies have great lives!" e-mail from Red Ree that I blogged.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 10, 2007 3:29 PM

Somebody said it was a parody, because no sane automaker would produce such a thing. Maybe it was spec to drum up new business. But it's still wonderful. Aside from prayers regarding magnificent Stuttgart engineering, it's the perfect fantasy of how we want a Parisian cafe to respond to terrorism: "Henri, could you bring more croissants for the lady, and an Evian for me? Also, the gentleman at the curb seems to be having a little difficulty...."

Not to derail a good laugh, but I've been waiting for the blogosphere to get all panty-pinched about this guy:

(Sorry to send you to Fox, but the photo is an important part, and the Freep just took down their page about the story.)

It's worth your time to drop this guy's name into Google or Wiki and read what comes back. A book has been written. His youthful years were bad news, but most of us thought he was going to fade away like Mathias Rust did after landing that plane in Red Square. Wroooong-O!

So this is the world we're in. Desperate Housewives (i.e., single mothers) in Saint Louis are so removed from the horrors of their origins that they welcome sharia; lonely, never-got-laid bachelors are building nuclear weapons in their one-bedroom apartments. Do you ever get the feeling the the western democratic capitalism that's made you into one of the safest, fattest, most contented human beings who ever lived is essentially a suicidal Jack?

Posted by: Crid at October 10, 2007 4:10 PM

That was a lovely photo, Crid, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Flynne at October 10, 2007 5:10 PM

A real cockle-warmer, ain't he?

Posted by: Crid at October 10, 2007 6:03 PM

My cockles will never be quite the same.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 10, 2007 6:28 PM