The High Price Of Enlightenment
I just love when people who are raging assholes have all this eastern religion crap all over their homes and offices. These I spotted at the Abbot Kinney festival in Venice.

enlighten1.jpg

enlight2.jpg

Posted by aalkon at October 5, 2007 1:58 PM

Comments

talk about a perverted understanding of zen.

How did we go from "If you see the Buddha, you must kill him" to "If you see the Buddha, you must buy him and put him on your mantle"?

mu.

Posted by: brian at October 5, 2007 6:41 AM

brian,
There are bullseyes and there are bullseyes. You have summed it up at the molecular level.

mu indeed.

Posted by: martin at October 5, 2007 6:49 AM

Religion sells. No matter which one. My brother was a starving actor in between real jobs and acting gigs. He has a talent to draw and sketch and one day he sketched a picture of Jesus on the cross. He photocopied them into wallet and 5x7 sizes and put a write up about how his life was in crisis and the image of the lord came to him and commanded he draw Jesus. He put them on Ebay for a buck and made his rent for the month in a 10 day auction!! He giggled all the way to the bank!!!My other brother and I thought it was hysterical but my mother the buzzkill laid into him and he stopped. She's the nun of the family.

I took a cue from him and did something similar with clay crosses. Despite my being an antitheist, in the interest of income I do often incorporate some religious icons in my work simply because I know they'll be the items I'm sure to sell easily, thus buying me time in between my non religious art pieces.

Posted by: Cathleen at October 5, 2007 7:00 AM

I sell crack - it pays the bills

Posted by: newjonny at October 5, 2007 7:33 AM

I sell my white ass on street corners -- it would pay the bills if I didn't spend it all on crack.

Posted by: Old Lena at October 5, 2007 8:24 AM

As long as they think they're just buying a statue and not enlightenment itself, cool, enjoy your new paperweight!

Meanwhile, let's have us some real down-home bible-bangin' greedmongering, courtesy once again of The House That Oral (Roberts) Built:

Posted by: Gog_Magog_Carpet_Reclaimers at October 5, 2007 5:26 PM

"eastern religion crap." How eloquent.

Posted by: Rob Jacobs at October 7, 2007 7:09 PM

Rob Jacobs, for the uninitiated, is from the cult of Theresa, and probably left the anonymous comment just before his from "DUNCAN" that's kinda psycho:

Posted by: Amy Alkon at October 7, 2007 11:50 PM