Finally, A Politician Who Sounds Awake
Salt Lake City mayor Rocky Anderson talks about what patriotism isn't, which is "blind faith in bad leaders"...or "showing blind obedience to a human rights-violating, war-mongering president." He calls that sycophancy and based in fear. He call the Bush presidency "disastrous," and says it "will rank as the worst presidency our nation has had to endure." He quotes Theodore Roosevelt, whom he reminds, was a Republican:

The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else.

I dunno, I have to hear more about the guy, but I think I may have just found whom I'm voting for for president next time around. Here's the entire text of his speech. More about Anderson here. And here's more truth-telling, from Keith Olbermann.

Posted by aalkon at August 31, 2006 11:25 AM

Comments

If the media have delievered a more pompous diatriabe than that Olbermann piece in the last five years, someone should post a link. Prager, O'Reilly, anybody.... I think his TV sports background may work against him here.

Cable TV is the finest TV nowadays, the one best attuned to pandering to our momentary irritations and lonliness.

Posted by: Crid at August 31, 2006 10:18 AM

Here he is on YouTube, and mighty impressive indeed.

Posted by: moe99 at August 31, 2006 10:43 AM

Here he is on YouTube, and mighty impressive indeed.

Posted by: moe99 at August 31, 2006 10:46 AM

Here he is on YouTube, and mighty impressive indeed.

Posted by: moe99 at August 31, 2006 11:44 AM

sorry about the triplicate. I kept getting an error message when I posted. Ah well....

Posted by: moe99 at August 31, 2006 12:13 PM

Very interesting that this man should be elected mayor in the reddest of the red states.

Posted by: Patrick at August 31, 2006 12:31 PM

Amy, did you see this? It has me outraged.

The mayor's speech made a reference to James Evans, SLC's chair of the Republican Party and (later in the speech) said, "shows slavish, blind obedience and deference to a dishonest, war-mongering, human rights violating president."

What's the big deal? Well, it seems that James Evans, in addition to being rather prissy and effeminate, is a black man. Guess who's got his panties in a wad over the word "slavish."

"I have a basic right to be offended, when I'm referred to with a slave reference."

Well, holy hypersensitivity, Batman! Or perhaps this is a lame tactic to distract from the real issue. Rocky Anderson, however, is not buying, calling it "absolutely outrageous and despicable of Mr. Evans to make that accusation."

I couldn't agree more. He could have just as easily described a white man having slavish devotion to the president.

You GO, Rocky!

Posted by: Patrick at September 2, 2006 4:17 AM

Amy, did you see this? It has me outraged.

You GO, Rocky!

Posted by: Patrick at September 2, 2006 5:01 AM

UNbelievable. Thanks for that link.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 2, 2006 7:34 AM