Today's Dumbshit Comment
Every morning, I wake up, I erase my hotyoungpussy spam, and I see what blog comments people have left while I was sleeping. Sometimes they comment on entries from a while back, where I know few people will see them. And sometimes they're worth bringing forward because the comments are so smart, or, in this case, so fucking stupid.

This one's from the entry, Everything Under The Sun Is Racism, about how people find racism wherever they look -- if they're looking for it. And sorry, I'm Jewish (really post-Jewish), because I find religion and belief in god, without evidence, primitive and silly, but too many Jews are too into how "persecuted" they are, finding persecution at every turn.

But, first, here's an excerpt from the old entry:

I've found, in the course of writing my column, that mere mention of certain groups, usually racial or religious groups (but don't even get me started on polyamorists), will cause accusations of racism or anti-something-ism.

My favorite past incident of my own stemmed from my response in my column to a question from a controlling woman, basically telling her to ease up or she'd lose her boyfriend. I started my answer with a example showing how people value freedom:

Note that there were Cubans floating to the US recently, in a green 1959 Buick they turned into a boat, but no Jewish grannies from Miami sailing the other direction in their retrofitted giant yellow Cadillacs: “Oy, Irving, I think I left my heart pills back at the condo.”

Naturally, from the mere mention of a Jewish grandmother in a Cadillac I got letters:

How dare you use your column as a platform for anti-semitism!

My response:

Shalom! If I am anti-semitic, I learned my anti-semitism at Temple Beth El. P.S. That's my bubbie, who used to live in Florida and drive a gigantic pale yellow Cadillac. I thought she'd get a kick out of making it into my column.

One guy totally missed the point...perhaps because he's Googling "Jew" and just tossing accusations of anti-Semitism around like birdseed. He's not helping his case -- not that there seems to be a "case." I sure didn't see one.

The guy, Adam Goldberg, who signs his entry from ADL.org -- the Anti-Defamation League -- writes:

These GEICO caveman commercials are totally anti-semitic and awful in the way they portray White Anglo Saxon Protestants as somehow superior to the obviously neurotic and whiny Jewish caveman character.

Utterly offensive.

I responded:

Are you out of your mind? The whiny Jewish caveman character? Again, some people see racism everywhere. See above, where people thought I was racist. My bubbie (translation: Jewish grandmother) was just pleased I used an image of her in my column.

Oh yeah, and to be all Fairness Doctrine about this, I'll post the Advice Goddess Blog comment from the dumbshit Muslim "Racism" Finder Of The Week. (Oops, Islam isn't a race! Somebody please inform this idiot.) He posted on the entry, The Evil Among Us, about Muslims at a supposedly interfaith'y/let's make nicey-nicey with the infidels center in Britain.

I was just reporting the news:

Certain mosques in Britain claim to be about moderation and interfaith dialogue, but this is the kind of stuff they actually preach (quotes I pulled from the film):
"We Muslims have been ordered to do brainwashing..." "Allah created the woman deficient"

"If she doesn't wear a hijab we hit her"

"Take the homosexual man and throw him off the mountain..."

"You have to live like a state within a state then you take over..."

"The pinnacle, the crest, the summit of Islam..is jihad."

Has this kind of Islam infiltrated our country? What's to stop it?

But, here's what (heh!) "NormalPerson," who later said he was Muslim, had to say about what I posted:

I wrote:

You might come here more often, "NormalPerson." It's not like I give anybody who believes, without evidence, in god, a pass. It's just that very few Jews or Christians or astrologers want us dead because we don't believe in their shit...and quite a few Muslims do. Watch the video, dimwit. Furthermore, Islam isn't a race, so it's impossible to be "racist" against Muslims. Oh, sorry, make that "rasist."

We have freedom of speech in this country at the moment, not Sharia law. I'd like to keep it that way.

And FYI, again, watch the video. It isn't "stereotypes" I'm using, but ugly remarks from powerful Muslims themselves, out of a mosque in Britain that supposedly promotes interfaith relations. Kill 'em if they don't think your way? Now there's an interfaith relation!

Posted by aalkon at January 22, 2007 1:04 PM

Comments

Geico caveman commercials are racist and anti-semitic? Kush mir in tokhes!

Posted by: eric at January 22, 2007 7:48 AM

I thought the caveman comment was tongue-in-cheek. You don't think so?

Re: Nightline _ WOW! And hee, they pixelized the face of your friend shooting her stove. Blogslapped bu Sugartits!

Posted by: Hasan at January 22, 2007 8:02 AM

I mean, besides the fact that it's ridiculous, a lot of Jews have cars and need car insurance. I mean, even if you hate Jews to the bone, is this a market you really want to alienate? Most people who are racist know better to let their racism show in public -- especially when it's going to affect their sales. Furthermore, from my experience when I worked in advertising, right after college, half the production companies on the planet have Jews working for them. Are they really going to do a Leni Riefenstahl on The Tribe?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at January 22, 2007 8:04 AM

Tongue up the ass, more like it, Hasan (sorry -- running, extreme vulgarity is always the first thing that comes to me).

And I apologized to Jackie, whose picture it was (http://www.jackiedanicki.com/?p=1051), and said I hoped her friend has a good sense of humor. Apparently, she does! Lucky me (although I was not responsible for that one). People should read the links on these things before hurtling to conclusions!

Posted by: Amy Alkon at January 22, 2007 8:11 AM

No apology necessary, I think brutal language can be a powerful tool. As long as it's not just using some tense of the word "fuck" as every third word in a sentence. In that case, fuck you, you fucking fucks.

Posted by: Hasan at January 22, 2007 8:51 AM

As Albert Ellis likes to say when somebody snarls, "Fuck you!":

"No, unfuck you! Fucking's a good thing!"

Posted by: Amy Alkon at January 22, 2007 9:19 AM

Hasan, I saw Alice In Chains in concert at one Lollapalooza, wherein the lead singer directed a member of his audience to "Stand the fuck up, you fucking lazy fuck." It makes me chuckle to this day.

Posted by: Melissa G at January 22, 2007 9:26 AM

upyourtee.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fucku.jpg

Posted by: Hasan at January 22, 2007 9:28 AM

Waitaminnit, were those two cavemen, in the restaurant scene, in a CHINESE restaurant? On Christmas?
Well, there you go.

Posted by: Cat brother at January 22, 2007 11:12 AM

Some people are just professionally offended. After posting a fairly neutral bit about (another) Scientology controversy, I got accused of being a 'scab' and a 'scientology shill,' both in the space of an hour.

Posted by: Jennifer at January 22, 2007 11:22 AM

Scientologists are particularly nutty about how they're portrayed:

Posted by: Amy Alkon at January 22, 2007 12:42 PM

Geico caveman commercials racist?! Get real, Geico is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. As a corporate entity goes they are VERY anti-discrimination.

Posted by: Darry at January 22, 2007 2:30 PM

Strictly speaking, aren't all cavemen Jewish, since they exist BC (before Christ) or BCE (Before Christian Era)?

Posted by: Kate Coe at January 22, 2007 4:07 PM

I once had a reader tell me that the word "Jew" was slightly offensive, as opposed to "Jewish person." I had made some remark about how Steven Spielberg loves to make patronizing movies about Jews and black people.

I polled both Luke Ford (conservative Jew) and Andy Klein (liberal Jew) on the issue, and both said the commenter was nuts.

Posted by: LYT at January 22, 2007 4:42 PM

Hitch on Steyn! Hitch on Steyn! Merry Christmas!

I disagree only with the last word, "leaders." Hitchens doesn't understand that politicians aren't leaders, because he's not really from our country.

Posted by: Crid at January 22, 2007 6:26 PM

"Shameful site and shameful rasist, hateful comments. Here you show your real face. You would be afraid to make such comments about certain racial and religious groups protected by law in your countries, but here you show who you really are.
You are really no better than that bearded fanatic on the picture. You use him to judge a religion you know nothing about, you use your ugly and primitive stereotypes to judge 1 billion people !!!"

This is common. He is more offended by your reaction to the remarks than he is to the remarks themselves. Do you think he fires off angry emails to the imams who make these remarks? Doubtful.

By labeling criticism of Islam as "racist" he is trying to make it socially unacceptable, (and in some countries illegal).

Posted by: winston at January 22, 2007 8:18 PM

Funny, when I hear someone using the racist card reflexively to bolster their position and put the other person on the defensive, like someone repeatedly punching the button in an elevator that isn't moving fast enough, I think of one carefully thought-out, well-reasoned critique of Naomi Wolf's Fire With Fire
"Wolf's book is trash and backlash and everything nasty (including homophobic and racist)"
NOt that I'm a Wolf fan, but still.

Posted by: Cat brother at January 23, 2007 5:24 AM

David Buss, in Evolution of Desire, has a much smarter critique of Wolf's book, "The Beauty Myth":

It implies that women are unsuspecting dupes, passive receptacles, with no preferences and no individuality, buffeted and brainwashed by the powerful forces of entities like "power structures" and "myths" that seek to subjugate them.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at January 23, 2007 5:48 AM

This looks like a job for Jewlie Jewstein and har faithful sidekick Shiksa McGoyerson.

Posted by: Deirdre B. at January 23, 2007 7:26 PM

Posted by: Love Ask at February 7, 2007 6:23 PM

Posted by: FashionCool at February 13, 2007 6:37 PM

Posted by: Everything at February 24, 2007 5:48 PM

Oh, please. Do we call Christians "Christian people"?

Posted by: Amy Alkon at February 24, 2007 5:56 PM