Welcome To Benetton

cinemabenetton1.jpg

Air France lost my luggage for a few days, so this wonderful woman, Luciana, who was just supposed to drop Gregg and me off at our hotel in Mantua, took me shopping and on a little tour. It so happened that the Benetton where I went to buy a shirt used to be the oldest cinema in Europe, opened in 1905, says Luciana.

There really isn't a bad view in the town.

skyline.jpg

waterway.jpg

By the way, we're here with Elmore Leonard for the Festivaletteratura. Here's Elmore with Russell Banks after Banks' session this morning.

dutchandbank.jpg

(You gotta love a country that serves wine before 11 a.m.!)

Here's Gregg's lunch -- meat 'n' potatoes, Mantua-style.

meatnpotatoes.jpg

As a culinary adventurer, I chose the veal tartare.

vealtartare.jpg

I don't know how to say "incredible" in Italian, but you get the idea.

Posted by aalkon at September 7, 2007 2:59 PM

Comments

Oh, lovely photos. Beautiful world.

Posted by: Lena at September 7, 2007 10:12 AM

What Lena said.

(Because I don't know how to say "dribbling and cross-eyed with envy" in Italian.)

Posted by: Jody Tresidder at September 7, 2007 2:03 PM

Russell Banks? Between meeting him and seeing what's for lunch, I'm drooling with jealousy.

Posted by: Rebecca at September 7, 2007 2:30 PM

Sono gelosissima!!!

No, not really - but I'm happy you're there! (I lived in Milan for almost ten years, and miss Italy. A lot.) So, Amy and Gregg, divertitevi (enjoy)! And thanks for the beautiful photos.

Posted by: soleil at September 7, 2007 5:53 PM

> You gotta love a country that
> serves wine before 11 a.m.!

Left hook.

> I chose the veal tartare.

Right cross.

I'm down for the count.

Posted by: Crid at September 7, 2007 6:55 PM

It so happened that the Benetton where I went to buy a shirt used to be the oldest cinema in Europe, opened in 1905...

A building that old probably wouldn't have survived in the States. See what we're missing?

Posted by: Doobie at September 7, 2007 8:07 PM

I'd love to eat minced raw cow flesh...but have serious doubts about its safety for consumption.

Posted by: LYT at September 8, 2007 12:08 AM

Remember that shot of Bud's off-menu lunch at 21 in Wall Street?

Posted by: Crid at September 8, 2007 2:06 AM

Actually, I hate to brag (okay, so that was totally insincere) but I sat next to Banks at dinner and argued with him that the danger from Islam is far greater than he thinks.

Gregg thought I was kind of nervy to argue with somebody of Banks' stature, but I never think of anyone that way (caring about their "stature").

And regarding the veal, the food here is beautiful, totally fresh, and fantastic, and I've lived to tell the tale.

Posted by: Amy Alkon at September 8, 2007 9:17 AM

I don't think about anyone having "stature", but boy can that man write. Banks deserves my respect for his considerable talent.

Posted by: Rebecca at September 8, 2007 3:37 PM

The thing I miss most about Italy is definitely the food. Those potatoes that Gregg got were my favorite thing when I was there. At least it looks like the same thing in the picture. I have yet to be able to recreate them, even though they are so simple to make. The best thing that I had was the lasagna from Merone's in Florence. It has to be the best meal that I ever had.

Posted by: Amy at September 10, 2007 8:29 AM